SCARAB project has to go....what next

Notices

SCARAB project has to go....what next

Old 12-24-2003, 01:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCARAB project has to go....what next

I have recently posted this question on another thread but it is so buried I thought I would start over here.

My situation is that I have purchased a new boat. The old one, that I am in the middle of rerigging from scratch, has to be sold. I am looking for some SERIOUS input from fellow member as to best preparation of the boat before selling.

SOME BACKGROUND
I have 1978 38 Scarab hull #1 of the raised decks. I have owned it for 14 yrs and have never planned on selling until Santa stopped in early. Now I have 2 boats and really only want one. Over the years I have put an immense amount of time and dollars into the Scarab with many hull improvements and upgrades hardware.
Some of the hull improvements are projects like removing and glassing out the side windows, glassing hull and deck together, glass work throughout to secure hull and cockpit integrity, front bulkhead reinforcing, replaced transom and stringers up to solid areas followed by flattening and straightening of the bottom running surface. It rides awesome.
Some other things done are the windshield replaced with a low fairing, new all white dash and accs., complete professional interior and back sundeck, padded cockpit floor and so on. You get the idea. Make it nice and do it right because it's your own.
HERE is the issue at hand. The bildge has been COMPLETELY cleared out of everything to the last bolt. I was in the process of repowering/rerigging the boat from TRS to SSM3's on X boxes along with bigger power. The glass work for the drives has been done and the transom is painted. WHAT is the best way to sell this boat and all equipment.
FYI
During this rerig process I have been working with Archer Marine/Team Scarab to install motors and drives at optimal heights for the best performance and X dim. Boat has full staggared setup. Motors are near ready for dyno (572ci 800hp+SC's). Huber 1250's, drives have been proffesionally freshened and have very low usage. I have EVERYTHING here ready to go in including the fasteners/pumps/hose/elec.items,batteryboxes/strainers/tabs/ss hull hardware/steering/ and so on and on is here.

A. COMPLETE the project and try to sell it for higher than market will bear and never get it?? no

B. STOP here and let someone finish it with thier own motors/ hardware and possibly sell them some things they need? AND sell all new setup and accs. FYI...This is also a good way for a person to get a 38 without alot of cash outlay. helps the younger crowd. like...JUST ONCE!

C. REDO the transom to accomodate TRS, rig the bildge to get by with usable equipment and with or without power ( I would have to locate a pair of something reasonable if with power). So sell it as turnkey. I may still have most of the things that came out. AND sell all new setup and accs.

Sorry for the book but you see the position I am in. I don't mind the labor to change things around or finish it if thats what it takes. It is also important to keep the financing that is available on a boat this age.

I would appreciate some input from fellow OSO'ers as to what option you think would be the best route. I will have to go take some pics since all others are not digital. No matter which way I do go I will be painting the complete hull from the gunnel down to remove the name. Here is also a chance for the buyer to get paint (and possible graphics) of preference.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails SCARAB project has to go....what next-boat7.jpg  
Old 12-24-2003, 01:54 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

first off, "bad girl" is anmed "ken" alwasy htough you were a girl. HE learn somethign new everyday!

second how much you looking to get for it?

3rd i'd say best bet is to pull all the vaulable hardware and sell eth hull as a project hull. Its old so even with new goodies and big power she is still gonna be kind of old so you arne;t goign to get the $$$ out of it. You might as well putthe big power and good drives you have for it into soemthign newer or sell them off here over the next few months.

the market for older raised deck scarabs isn;t so hot. THere is that 84 flat deck that has been totally redone and they are asking 50k for it. 2 new 800hp 572s from a reputable biulder cost that much.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:55 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

B seems like the best solution.

its a project boat you do it for the love or doing the project and expect to take a bath on it......
Old 12-24-2003, 02:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bad girl is a girl - Ken's wife (wife is writing now) - but Ken always uses my name because I have the upgraded membership. Ken's membership name is "Dog". Just FYI, sorry about the confusion.

Thanks for the $.02 on the Scarab project.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:15 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

hehe

FYI h ave my own scarab project (completed) i'll be takig na bath on in spring........
Old 12-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ebay

one just sold on
Ebay for 7500 and the guy has it listed here.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default INTERIOR

here are a couple pics to see the topside......
Attached Thumbnails SCARAB project has to go....what next-bd-cockpit.jpg  
Old 12-26-2003, 11:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default another

have a few more maybe to post later.
Attached Thumbnails SCARAB project has to go....what next-bd-interior.jpg  
Old 12-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

For what it's worth, I was in the same dilemma two boats ago. Had an old Coyote raceboat with two new zero time blower motors. Didn't want to take a big hit on the entire package. Wound up selling the hull and keeping the motors. Later put the motors in our Top Gun. So the downside loss was only 5 to 10 grand. Guys are always looking for reasonably priced hulls. My take on it is that you cap any additional outlay on the Scarab and list it for sale here and/or on Boat trader online.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 12-26-2003, 12:34 PM
Registered

looks like with everyone saying option B, Does this mean I'm in the market for another project?

Quick Reply: SCARAB project has to go....what next

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.