Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Boats:
    1990 Baja 190 DSR

Turning a salvage title into a clean title

If I buy a car back from the insurance agency, and get a salvage title for it, is there a way to turn that into a clean title easily? Do I fix what is wrong, then get an inspection? Or do I have to do the old kentucky trick?

FWK
    Salvage title stays a salvage title. If you sell that vehicle assuming you could clear the title and do not disclose the fact it was a salvage vehicle and the unsuspecting buyer found out you would be in a lot of trouble.
    Last edited by FWK; 01-24-2004 at 11:29 AM.

no

Yeah.... if you are really slimy.... you can title the car in Mississippi.... you don't even have to take the car there.... just transfer the title papers... wait for the new title and plates... BUT and that is a BUT as big as Jennifer Lopez's...... you CANNOT ever title that car in the state that issued the salvaged title...and with carfax and insurance companies getting on the bandwagon, if they run the VIN it is going to come up salvaged... I know it isn't always fair, because sometimes if the car was stripped... and only interior parts were taken... and structurally the car is good.... it's going to get a salvage title if the car was "totaled". Laws vary from state to state... and like FWK says... if you fail to disclose this upon sale... you are leaving yourself open for a lawsuit. Some insurance companies won't even insure a car that has a salvage title. Years ago a dealership was vandalized by someone spraying paint stripper on cars... Their insurance company "totalled" all the cars... even though they were new... never in an accident... they got salvage titles... tough deal.

Platinum Member Platinum Member mcollinstn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1991 F311SR1
    Carfax and other online car-history services WILL ALWAYS show the title fraud. You can get a title that says clean, but the title history will show otherwise.

1) CAN you hop states and lose the salvage stamp? Sure. Not hard to do at all.

2) In most states, though, title fraud is prosecutable back to the individual level.
    I see London, I see France...

FWK
    Ussually if it is your car the title will not change hands and will not show as a salvage.

My Boats:
    38 Cigarette flat-deck
    Yeah, that's just what you need, more legal problems.

Don't be a scammer. Do the right thing---Remember, what goes around comes around!!

Registered
    My Boats:
    fuel injection, superchargers
    If you buy it cheap enough you can then donate it to whatever group and take the full retail price as deduction on your takes and the IRS is none the wiser. A car you buy back for $2000 and donate it for $15000 is a $5000 tax deduction in 30% bracket for a net gain of $3000.

Going from salvage to tagable title requires a lone documentation trail- photos before ond after, reciepts, inspections. It's not that easy unless you're a body shop.

speel chekk this fokker! Charter Member puder's Avatar
    My Boats:
    27' Scarab
    i believe we discussed this once previously.

you can do it but its not legal
    Pardon me, while I whip this out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast