Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
HELP ME PLAN "LOTO" VACATION >

HELP ME PLAN "LOTO" VACATION

Notices

HELP ME PLAN "LOTO" VACATION

Old 01-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Ric232

Default HELP ME PLAN "LOTO" VACATION

I'm thinking of taking a road trip this summer from Orlando, FL to LOTO; 4 adults, 1 child (3yrs) and two boats. I need some help figuring out where to stay.

Some guidelines:

My wife, daugher and my parents will be with us, so I need a nice place to stay on the lake with boat slips. (How is Four Seasons?).

Because of the attendees, this won't be a "rowdy" vacation, but I don't want to be too far from the action (wherever that is).

One of the things we would enjoy is taking the boats to breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so I don't want to be too terribly far from decent restauarants. "Decent" means reasonably good food, even if the place is a dump.

And what month(s) would be best to go?

Please help me . . . I know nothing about the place and don't want to drive 1200 miles and have made bad plans.

Thanks.

Last edited by Ric232; 01-24-2004 at 07:29 PM.

Old 01-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Lodge of the four season, and Tan Tar A are two of the most accommodating resorts at the lake. Both would have slips available along with pools and restaurant on the grounds. Tan Tar A is at the 26 mile marker and the lofge of the four seasons is at the 13 mile marker. Most of the activity on the lake is between the 4 mm and the 31 with the 19 - 21 the most popular. another suggestion is to rent a condo are a house. you can get them with docks and might be able to get all under one roof. if i can help give me a shout.

later
Old 01-25-2004, 12:28 AM
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would personally suggest staying away from the Lodge of The Four Seasons... Later hit the mark when he said to rent a condo, by far the best way to go. As far as when to go... I would suggest visiting the week of the fourth of July if you are looking for the ultimate LOTO experience! However, anytime between Memorial day weekend and Labor day weekend is an excellent time. Feel free to contact me if you need more help, I am sure I can point you in the right direction.
Regards,
Tony
Old 01-25-2004, 07:29 AM
Ric232

Originally posted by Tbonepmp
I would personally suggest staying away from the Lodge of The Four Seasons...

Tony
Why ???

Old 01-25-2004, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All pretty solid data above. It's really whether you want all amenities in one spot without commute, or, if you prefer to be 'forced' to climb in one of those two boats and motor to everything. You didn't describe your boats (unless of course one is a 23' Baja - duh?), but it can be challenging on the main channel between Tan-Tar-A and The Lodge ANY weekend between June and Sept. in anything less than about 28-30'.

Party Cove is a few miles down the Grand Glaize arm, and should be experienced to believe. Don't take parents who don't appreciate extremely sparse swim attire. Thankfully, the Patrol is extremely diligent regarding DWD, so heads-up on a designated driver everywhere on the water.

A private house might be a tad sedate if you're looking for action. The big resorts have both a hotel part and even individual cottage set-ups which we found fun, and might have a little more stuff than a condo like kiddie playground and bowling alley, but there's good quality condo developments that either have their own agents for rentals or private owners who own one or more for rental. I know a couple leads if you want.

There's lots of car traffic considering all the landside activities (huge Outlet Mall, good restaurants, shows, all the boat dealers), so factor that into where you want to stay. Good eats and laid-back atmospheres at several spots on the water, some snooty places too. Once you narrow down your potentials a little, I'm sure folks here can offer more specific suggestions and details. One thing is you're guaranteed to have a ball! Welcome and good luck. In case you ain't done the internet thing yet, here's some links I already had saved.

I know this is long-winded, but just talking about the lake for a while helps until Spring comes. There's an ice storm going on this minute.

http://www.lakelinks.com/lodging/osage_beach.htm

http://www.odd.net/ozarks/

http://www.funlake.com/

http://www.lakeareachamber.org/

p.s. With trailers you'll be able to gas up on land - a definite plus.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Banned

Default loto

i think i would try to get a condo for the best accomadations that would meet yourr needs. two places i feel would be the best are parkview place or the ledges. both are nice and have dock facilities. i know a guy who has 5 units in parkview he rents and they are really nice and furnished. its also right by the grand glaize bridge which is in the middle of all the action. you can expect to pay 200-250 night for a 3 or 4 bedroom 2000 sq. ft condo. but they both have pools. big surf is awesome water park for the kids. let me know if you want some phone numbers or give me dates and i can help you set it up. you'll really enjoy it .
Old 01-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of great places to stay. What are you looking for? Tan-Tar-A is an all enclusive resort with a new (small) indoor water park, resturants, golf and marina. There are tons of condo's to be rented, Parkview is where I stayed when I moved to the lake while I found a house to buy, it is inside the no wake zone on weekends and has good access to highway 54 but no place to park a trailer, Lazy Days has a seperate trailer lot and is very close to the state park to launch the boat. So if you can be more specific on what you are looking for I am sure we can point you in the right direction.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why TBone discouraged Lodge of 4 seasons. He may have a good reason. But, they have many condo's in their rental program, and you would have access to the lodge's amenities. May be the best of all worlds. Most of the lodge's properties are around HH, not counting their new Porto Cima (sp?) which probably has no rentals available. Be careful the "Racket Club" condos, as they are NOT on the water, or even close. I'm sure they are quite nice, and have world-class tennis facilities, but that's not why you come to the Lake. While LOT4S no longer owns them, they still property manage units for private owners there.

No one has mentioned golf, but LOTO has numerous great courses, designed by people like Arnold, Jack, and Pete I think, as well as more normal ones. Three plus a pitching course are part of LOT4S.

If your boats are less then 25 feet, you may find weekend water to be challenging, but during the week it's smooth enough to ski in the main channel.

It makes me chuckle thinking all the times I've gone to Orlando for vacations, and people in Orlando and coming here for their vacation. Welcome, and have a great time.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:07 PM
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Ric232
Why ???
I have just had alot of bad experiences with the Lodge. There are far too many nicer places to stay at when visiting the lake. I have been going to the lake since I was five years old and I have probably stayed at almost every resort down there as well as condos. Tan-Tar-a is by far the nicest of the resorts, but I always enjoyed myself the most when renting a condo through PMG at the lake. You can contact PMG / Professional Management Group Inc. @ 573-365-6260.
Regards
Old 01-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Registered

I have a house on the 10 MM fairly close to the Lodge of the Four Seasons. Tan-Tar-a is very nice however way overpriced and to far from any action. There a many condos between the 4MM and 20MM which is where I would stay if I were you. Emrald Bay has great condos and docks and is very close to all attractions.
Holiday weekends are not a time to take little ones out to eat way to long of wait and lake is extreemely rough.
Any time between Memorial and Labor Day is a great time to visit the lake. Typically the weekend before and weekend after a major holiday tends to be a little lighter for visitors.
Any time you go there will be a great deal of things for the family to do. Have fun. Rick

Quick Reply: HELP ME PLAN "LOTO" VACATION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.