Notices

O/T Regal Cruisers

Old 01-26-2004, 04:05 PM
voodoo

The only issues I know of with the balsa coring in the Sea Ray had to do with the decks. On some boats a few years ago the hatch holes were cut into the coring material which left some of the material exposed. This is not an issue anymore. Sea Ray uses a material called "coremat" in the hull. Resin impregnates this material so water cannot get in unlike Balsa.

Old 01-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Check out my 46 Sea Ray

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=68765
Old 01-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Slamin

Dean, I see a few of them here in the Detroit area. I looked at a 40" a while back but I couldn't get past the tile in the head area. My concern was there would be to much flexing in the hull causing problems with the tile. I've spent a lot of time on big water and have seen first hand what it can to even to the best of boats. Just as an FYI I have a 1998 3870 Cruisers for sale. Give me a shout if you want to chat.

Slamin

Old 01-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I've seen a whole bunch of ceramic tile in cruisers. It's usually in an area where the glass is suported underneath by foamed in place sub-liners, and the tile itself is on a mastic base with lots of latex additive in the grout. One I know of inparticular is on a real party boat and I've seen no problems with the tile cracking or coming loose.

As far as Regals, they are a quality boat and I like the 38. Get it in diesel, though.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Ric232

Regal's world headquarters is here in Orlando.

Personally, I would stick with Formula or Sea Ray.

Old 01-27-2004, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the input. I like Formula and Sea Ray, but I don't like the price tags on them...

Anybody heard of any issues with Regal? Rinker started making a 38 this year. I would probably prefer to wait for the bugs (if any) to be worked out.

Dean
Old 01-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

There are probably 6 38' and 42' Regals around here. I am unaware of any significant issues with any of them.

Been all over them and I think they (Regal) have done a good job with the layout and stuff. The canvas package is thin and uses flimsy plastic in the windows. Maybe coming from a cold weather manufacturer, they stay away from thick Sunbrella and Strataglas, but I prefer the thicker stuff - less flapping noise and windows don't get wavy. Clamshell opening engine room access is a mixed blessing. I know the 42 has a regular hatch to get in as an option to opening the entire back of the boat, but I think the 38 does not have the additional hatch..

Also think the cockpit icemaker is uncovered (no cover door for it). Those things fade and the door seal goes bad fast if exposed to continuous sun.

overall, a good boat.
Formula and Sea Ray are and have always been my preference, though.

Cruisers offers a good value, but the interior fit is more houseboat-ish. Their 38 foot boats are priced nice.

Not the larger ones, though.
Was nuts over the 5340 Cruisers until I spent an hour on one. If it had been priced significantly less than Sea Ray, Neptunus, and Sunseeker, it wouldhav been a different story but it was priced right there with the best.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 14' Regal jet boat, Does that count????

Just Joking, I think it was built with the scraps from the cruisers, It was well built though, beat the heck out of that little thing. I spoke with their customer service people on the phone once, about getting a manual for an out of production boat, they were very nice, dug one out of the archives, and sent it to me for free.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Registered

Thanks again for the feedback. I really appreciate the help. I've spoken with several people and Regal seems to make a decent boat.

Dean
Old 01-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Registered

I have had a 36 ft (41 FT LOA) Regal Commadore for the last 6 years. I use it to cruise from Block Island to Cape May and in between. The Regal is very well built and seems to have much more room than other cruisers. It is also a heavy boat. I have been in 10-12 ft seas with it and felt comfortable with the Regal's handling of the waves. I don't think you can go wrong with the Regal or a Sea Ray.

Last edited by Jersey Tom; 01-27-2004 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: O/T Regal Cruisers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.