Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best Quote from Reggie at the COPS party Saturday..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/70110-best-quote-reggie-cops-party-saturday.html)

Waterfoul 01-26-2004 10:14 PM

Originally posted by PhantomChaos
:D :D :D Great! Someday when I'm up that way, I'm gonna call you guys on that. I'm not going to haul my boat all there way out there! I'm ridding you YOUR boats! :D :D
Deal!

PhantomChaos 01-26-2004 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Troutly
Nort....you look....well.......you look almost GAY in that picture :D
Ha Ha..... :D That picture was taken because about 3 days before I had nearly cut off the tip of my middle finger, and as you can see, I had just done a great job putting on a new dressing all by myself (on the wrong finger). DUH!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

PhantomChaos 01-26-2004 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Waterfoul
Deal!
Perfect!!! :) :)

Shane 01-27-2004 07:43 AM

Until you have seen the GREAT lakes on a rough day you best be humble. Cuz if you ain't, yoose will be eatin' your words!:p

KAAMA 01-27-2004 09:28 AM

Lake Michigan---it's no duck walk...

I remember Betty Cook making a statement about how rough the water is capable of getting on Lake Michigan/Great Lakes.

Years ago back when Don Johnson and Chuck Norris were racing, when they held some of the GIANT races in Grand Haven in the 80's and early 90's I remember the waves being HUGE! In fact, I remember a boat sinking next to us with its bow just popping above the surface.

Also, I was just looking at a chart over at a friend's house that showed all the shipwrecks back as far as the 1980's maybe even earlier up to date. There are HUNDREDS of lost ships due to foul water conditions in Lake Michigan alone! Some of these ships are up to 600' in length and longer!!!

A few years ago a friend who is an very experienced boater almost went down with the ship in his 46' Bertram when he got caught in a vilolent storm out on Lake Michigan traverling from St. Joseph to Chicago. It scared him and his wife real bad. I'm sure there are THOUSANDS of stories like this.

Lake Michigan can be very calm at times, but when the winds come in it can whip up that water real fast. I would be wise to never under estimate the waters of Lake Michigan--- you can find yourself in a very dangerous situation in a hurry.

T2x 01-27-2004 09:31 AM

Roughest water I've ever been in while racing.......

#1 Key West 1981...... going west toward the dry Tortugas

#2....Lake Michigan...same year....Chicago...to...the Indiana shore(New Buffalo, I think)......with wind out of the north.

T2x

StrikinLightnin 01-27-2004 09:52 AM

I think it was in '91 Michigan City,IN played host to an offshore powerboat race.
I was there and heard racers commenting about
the big "pond" and how it was going to be a peice of cake running on it.
The wind was out of the south and the lake was flat.
Well that night it kicked up from out the north.
Completely different situation come race day!
Lake Michigan demands a lot of respect.
If not you're gonna get bit............

jafo 01-27-2004 01:34 PM

Originally posted by StrikinLightnin
ILake Michigan demands a lot of respect.
If not you're gonna get bit............

and then there's Superior..........:eek:

Waterfoul 01-27-2004 06:27 PM

Gitchagumi!!!! Lake Superior will get you if you don't respect her. Lake Michigan and the others will also get you RIGHT NOW if you don't give them the respect they deserve. Not saying the oceans won't do the same, but, the Great Lakes get rough really quick!

capt. crunch 01-28-2004 04:17 AM

hey waterfoul, ocean dwelling pukes? were you sitting on reggies lap when you heard that? sorry your boat is covered with 2 ft. of snow, im going boating today in the calm gulf of mexico.
you pond guys kill me