Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Oh boy, Here we go again.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/70455-oh-boy-here-we-go-again.html)

Shane 01-30-2004 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Fever Mike
Ahh come on Shane! I read the article and do not see what Terry Tomalin or Michael Allweiss wrote was wrong!

What is with it with some of you guys?!?!

Anyone going at those speeds in open cockpit boats and not wearing a helmet and life jacket is plain stupid with no reguard for there life, family or friends.

Mike,

The following quote by MA after the accident is only adding fuel to the fire.

"That boat exceeds the performance parameters of our Super Cat Light class," Allweiss said. "But it has none of the safety equipment."

This point has NO relevance whatsoever. All it does is serve to further aggrevate the situation. Safety equipment is optional and up to those who choose to ride in the boat. It is like the helmet law and seat belt law. Do I always wear a helmet on a motorcycle and snowmobile? ABSOLUTELY, despite whether or not a law exists. Same goes for the seat belt. However, me not wearing one in no way shape or form endangers ANYONE other than MYSELF and mandating such is nothing short of others (politicians) telling us that they know what is better for us than we do. I am wholeheartedly behind safety laws that protect OTHERS who were not privy to the decisions made by those who may injure them. For example. Drinking and driving. This is NOT an infringment because those who drink and drive are frequently the ones who injure, mame or even kill innocent people. Not having the safety equipment that MA required for Super Cat Light boats in a pleasure configuration has no relevance. The boat was not racing and the lack of the safety equipment only jeopardizes those who CHOSE to ride in the boat and who knowingly assumed the risks associated therewith. IF Chris would have hit a family sitting on their runabout having a fun day on the water then the discussion for more laws could be more easily substantiated.

And before you beat me over the head, I ALWAYS wear LifeLine Jackets and Helmets when running my Skater at speed.

WES311SR1 01-30-2004 10:00 AM

It's true and sad that anyone with a pocket full of cash and no boating exper. can buy a 100 mph boat (or more),fill up the cooler with ego booster, put on the 200 dollar shades and hit the water. then when he "SPLATS" the news and avg. person says: Man those boaters are crazy, dangerous and need to be banned.

Sean 01-30-2004 10:02 AM

My letter to the editor...

Your column by TERRY TOMALIN was nothing short of irresponsible, uneducated, slighted reporting.

Mr. Tomalin should get facts first and not condemn the whole because of the actions of a few. His report is based on his own assumptions regarding the training and experience of today's powerboaters.

As a responsible powerboater in the N/E I find this article extremely offensive. It's too bad JT offered him a ride...only to have the gesture turned into a soap box rant on the state of today's powerboating public. Shame on you Mr. Tomalin.

Shane 01-30-2004 10:35 AM

Originally posted by salesmanship
This was a tragic event and my heart goes out to all concerned. We all hope this never happens but unfortunately it can happen to any of us. But here's a question that may have no answer. Why is this worse than a loss of life on a motor cycle, high speed car crash, snow mobile, etc...? Those types of events occur every day yet typically receive little media attention or this type of scrutiny.
Is it because this a pleasure/leisure activity and nothing should go wrong?
What do you think?

Unfortunately, snowmobiles, motorcycles and the like ALL get HUGE media attention when any accident of any significance happens and as Troutly says it usually because these liberals are trying stop others from having any fun.

BadDog 01-30-2004 10:48 AM

salesmanship,

GOOD POINT!

Reed Jensen 01-30-2004 10:50 AM

A man drives his sports car on a mountain road... he reaches down for his ringing cell phone.... he doesn't notice the curve ahead as he is making plans for dinner with his girlfriend ..... he drives off a cliff and dies in the impact below.... Is it the fault of the car maker, the state that didn't install a guardrail,the cell phone manufacturer, the girlfriend that called the driver,the mountain for being there, or is it the fault of the driver?
Of course,,, the fault of the driver... ok, now lets pass a law to outlaw cell phones, mountain roads, sports cars, gravity,or anything else that could have contributed to the accident... Lawmakers love accidents like this to happen... then they can jump on their soap boxes and beat their chests and proclaim " I'm doing something,,, I'm not ineffectual,,,, vote for me in the coming election! I'm protecting society! "I guess we as boaters will have to be just as vocal about losing one of the few places where we can open the throttles and not have "Johnny Law" breathing down our necks to give us a ticket, Or infringe on my god given right to burn fossil fuels!

Shane 01-30-2004 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
A man drives his sports car on a mountain road... he reaches down for his ringing cell phone.... he doesn't notice the curve ahead as he is making plans for dinner with his girlfriend ..... he drives off a cliff and dies in the impact below.... Is it the fault of the car maker, the state that didn't install a guardrail,the cell phone manufacturer, the girlfriend that called the driver,the mountain for being there, or is it the fault of the driver?
Of course,,, the fault of the driver... ok, now lets pass a law to outlaw cell phones, mountain roads, sports cars, gravity,or anything else that could have contributed to the accident... Lawmakers love accidents like this to happen... then they can jump on their soap boxes and beat their chests and proclaim " I'm doing something,,, I'm not ineffectual,,,, vote for me in the coming election! I'm protecting society! "I guess we as boaters will have to be just as vocal about losing one of the few places where we can open the throttles and not have "Johnny Law" breathing down our necks to give us a ticket, Or infringe on my god given right to burn fossil fuels!

Reed,

Unfortunately they have already banned cell phones while driving, unless using the hands free style in NY! Funny thing is, you see cops driving and talking on them all the time without using the hands free device.

Reed Jensen 01-30-2004 11:06 AM

Yeah... they are trying to do the same thing here in LA.... but I don't think it will pass.... you see everyone... and I mean everyone on a phone while they drive. Sometimes a cell phone cradled on their shoulder and a starbucks coffee in one hand and the last hand on the wheel. OUTLAW OPEN COFFEE CUPS! :p

mr_velocity 01-30-2004 11:24 AM

Originally posted by salesmanship
This was a tragic event and my heart goes out to all concerned. We all hope this never happens but unfortunately it can happen to any of us. But here's a question that may have no answer. Why is this worse than a loss of life on a motor cycle, high speed car crash, snow mobile, etc...? Those types of events occur every day yet typically receive little media attention or this type of scrutiny.
Is it because this a pleasure/leisure activity and nothing should go wrong?
What do you think?

Because I just can't go out and but a 150mph rice rocket and drive it around with no required training.
Also, at least in NJ helmets are mandatory. There are no minimum starndards when it comes to safety in "fast" boats. The laws do not deal with the capabilities of the boats. I would much rather see the CG mandate a life jackets and helmets for boats capable of 100mph then require them to have a horn and a bell.

robyw1 01-30-2004 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Troutly
I don't know why other than my guess is that these are not activities that everyone does or can afford to do all the time, especially boating, especially in HP boats. That, coupled with the fact of the medias normally liberal bias and the usual liberal anti-anything-fun-factor and you get A LOT of press out of these events when they seldom warrant it.

Nice job Troutly, you hit the nail on the head. This politically correct world we live in is all about equal misery. In their minds we have no right to own such expensive and extravagant machines that others can't have. This is same garbage that is happening with the SUVs and I know it is only a matter of time before it hits powerboaters. Let it get out that these engines use hundreds of gallons of fuel a day and pollute the same as 10 average cars and I guarantee you the environMENTALIST WILL SEEK TO HAVE YOUR BOATS CASTERATED AND REGUALTED! It is sad but if you don't vote carefully then bend over the transom and get ready.

Roby