Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dock Question - Pressure treated ban? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/70483-dock-question-pressure-treated-ban.html)

HotRodr56 02-01-2004 06:07 PM

Originally posted by impulsive
Hey Hotrod, If its going to be that expensive would people be better off using a product like trex deck material?Trex
Price will be getting closer but products like Trex will still cost more. They are, however, a much superior product to regular pressure treated wood so in my opinion worth the extra cost. Someone mentioned a shorter life expectancy for the new treated wood product, which is true, and further supports the use of a higher initial cost but superior product like Trex. I supply a product by the name of Evergrain which is very similar to Trex in physical properties but has a nice woodgrain pattern which is more skid resistant, looks more like real wood, and hides stains and blemishes better. http://www.epochwood.com/

Awesome35 02-02-2004 09:58 AM

My new one is concrete panels,have had all of the others before.The concrete helps dampen out the wakes & makes everything more stable. No slivers ,no screw or nail heads,no spraying with preservative every year.

mr_velocity 02-02-2004 10:08 AM

Just remember one thing about our fine govt, they will now classify CCA lumber as a hazadous waste. Anything that you may have built with CCA will no longer be accepted at landfills. Be prepared for some HUGE fees when you try and get rid of it.

Cord 02-02-2004 10:40 AM

Ok, here's the low down...the green treated wood is no longer available for residential usage. This happened not because the wood was unsafe. It happened because arsenic is becoming a buzz word like asbestos and ddt. Nobody knows what the stuff is but they know it's not good. In a agreement with the EPA they discontinued the green treated in exchange for immunity from lawsuits. For residential usage, you now must use copper treated lumber (brown). Remember how they were selling the copper treated at the local building center for a upcharge and claiming it was a superior product? Not true. The copper is not as effective at controlling decay. I'm not sure how effective it is against termites and ants. Because the copper is not as effective, the green treated will continue to be used for commercial uses. In other words, if somebody is building a dock for you, they can get the green. Besides, you'd be using a higher than a stock level of treatment anyways. Yes, there are different levels of treatment. Another problem with the copper treated lumber is that it will corrode galvanized fasteners and hangers. You now must use hot dipped galvanized hangers and fasters or go to stainless.

impulsive-you asked about trex. That stuff is some real sh&t. Go to your local building center and pick up a 2x6x12'. The stuff is like picking up a wet noodle. That's why it has a max span rating of 16".

Cord 02-02-2004 10:49 AM

Oh, yea...I almost forgot. They will still be continuing the production and sale of green treated wood for the larger sizes. They cut off is some where around a 2x8. These larger sizes have been deemed as being structural members and need the better decay protection the CCA provides.

Ed 02-02-2004 10:50 AM

Copper...Hmmmm...

Would that be the same copper that they outlawed in anti-fouling boat bottom paints, mostly used on antique wood hulled boats, about 20 years ago? Interesting. Ed

mr_velocity 02-02-2004 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Cord
. In other words, if somebody is building a dock for you, they can get the green. Besides, you'd be using a higher than a stock level of treatment anyways
Dangerous assumption to make. Sure the piles are usually treated to 2.5 but every builder I know uses the same old .4 for the stringers and decking, at least here in NJ. In PA all the treated lumber was .6

I used Trimax for my deck, recycled plastic with fiberglass for added strength, no wood at all. Problem is it does get a little hot and you need to put all joists 12" apart. If I had to do it again it would be ironwood.