Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dock Question - Pressure treated ban? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/70483-dock-question-pressure-treated-ban.html)

O.C.Barry 01-30-2004 12:20 PM

Dock Question - Pressure treated ban?

I have a boat dock question. Has anyone heard of a pressure treated wood ban? I heard the tail end of something on the TV news but haven't heard anything since.

Gary Anderson 01-30-2004 12:45 PM

Yep, here in MO, they discontinued sales of CCA treated wood as of 12/31/03.
Gary

O.C.Barry 01-30-2004 12:47 PM

What are we supposed to make sill plates and dock stringers out of?

RollWithIt 01-30-2004 01:12 PM

Ok. Being that my family owns a marina that uses pressure treated wood we were obviously concerned also. The story we got is that they are not going to make pressure treated wood available to the general public due to health concerns. But, they will still make it available to marina type businesses that need the stronger, longer lasting wood. You will need to use the company designation or number in order to purchase the wood. My only question is how much are they gonna jack up the price now?

HotRodr56 01-30-2004 03:10 PM

I am in the lumber industry and the method and chemicals used to treat wood will be changed but pressure treated wood will still be available, just not CCA treated. Get ready for a new "environmentally friendly" type of treated lumber, whatever that means. All fasteners and metal brackets must be stainless steel or hot dipped galv. to resist the corrosive effects of the new treating process. Does that sound safer? DOH. Oh yes, almost forgot, it will cost about 20% more than what you pay now.

RollWithIt 01-30-2004 04:25 PM

we already use the stainless or galvanized just cause it holds up better on the river. Go figure on the price hike. Thanks for the update.

impulsive 01-30-2004 06:20 PM

Originally posted by HotRodr56
I am in the lumber industry and the method and chemicals used to treat wood will be changed but pressure treated wood will still be available, just not CCA treated. Get ready for a new "environmentally friendly" type of treated lumber, whatever that means. All fasteners and metal brackets must be stainless steel or hot dipped galv. to resist the corrosive effects of the new treating process. Does that sound safer? DOH. Oh yes, almost forgot, it will cost about 20% more than what you pay now.

Hey Hotrod, If its going to be that expensive would people be better off using a product like trex deck material?Trex

lanpln 01-30-2004 08:56 PM

Been banned here for ten years.

Ed 01-31-2004 08:14 AM

On Top Of That...

They say it won't have the same life span as the wood its replacing! That's progress for ya! Ed

88 MACH 1 01-31-2004 10:12 AM

Glad we put the lightweight concrete on our new dock. So the blue and orange foam is banned and now the CCA wood. Gonna be a lot of docks needing a major overhaul.