Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Interesting new stern drive - 700+ ft-lbs (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/70728-interesting-new-stern-drive-700-ft-lbs.html)

cuda 02-02-2004 06:49 PM

That drive sure looks sweet.

GLH 02-02-2004 06:57 PM

I respect the innovation and all, but I can give you a little idea on how much they will cost you.

If you have a boat with that in the next five years you will get KILLED on resale. This is not a barb on the product's quality just reality in the market place here in the US. Anyone has a Merc dealer within a stones throw.

Volvo's are getting more and more popular on cruisers and all but look around this forum or the classified here and look how many Apache, Fountain, Skater, Sabers and Cigarettes have Volvo's.

There are a bunch of stuff for sale with exotic drives that look great on paper and all, but when it blows up in east-bumpf&^%k USA everyone knows you'll be towed for two days.

It might be the greatest product but they are missing the things that I need. Great acceptance from the public (for resale) from the dealers (for service) and availability (for resale and service) until then I will let the more adventurous and wealthy take the hit on time lost, expense and depreciation. Sorta like diesels for an Outerlimits.

Reed Jensen 02-02-2004 07:07 PM

How many of you guys are running speedmasters? Not too many shops want to touch a speedmaster either. I found that out.. The shops are more than happy to take it off your boat and then box it for shipment to someone else... but they don't want to tackle the job themselves.

cuda 02-02-2004 07:19 PM

Try to find a marine mech to work on Twin Disc trannies.:(

GLH 02-02-2004 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
...then box it for shipment to someone else... but they don't want to tackle the job themselves.
at least they know where to ship it.

GLH 02-02-2004 07:32 PM

Originally posted by cuda
My point exactly. Anything remotely off quilter and your up a creek, a shallow creek.

cuda 02-02-2004 07:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Troutly
[B]Another butt ugly drive from the folks at Volvo! :p :p

Actually, I think they are slick looking!

I knew a guy that had a yamaha outdrive and something broke. He got some whistle dick that claimed he knew these drives to work on it. It broke again immediately. He hired another mech. When the second mech took it apart, he saw where the first mech just ground off some stuff to make it fit back together. I think he finally sold the boat at a pretty good loss because he was tired of fooling with the Yammi.:(

GLH 02-02-2004 07:45 PM

Come on cuda they look like the fans you see in those fifties movies with everyone sitting in a jury room sweating like rednecks trying to read!!!! :D

open87 02-03-2004 06:11 AM

Originally posted by cuda
WHAT ABOUT TRANSMISSION MARINE IN FT LAUDERDALE?

cuda 02-03-2004 06:28 AM

Originally posted by open72
WHAT ABOUT TRANSMISSION MARINE IN FT LAUDERDALE?
I found Twin Disc Southeast in Tampa to do the job for me, but none of the marine mechs here would do it. They would pull it out, but not work on it.