Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Home Theater 101 question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/70774-home-theater-101-question.html)

ActiveFun 02-02-2004 11:16 PM

Home Theater 101 question

Sorry to do this.
Why are there 7 channels required?? Especially with powered subs, why do the new receivers have big power x 7??

TxHawk 02-02-2004 11:17 PM

2 centers?

FWK 02-02-2004 11:57 PM

FR,FL,,center,suroundL,suroundR,backL ,BackR these channels are powered in most receivers today. Also the receivers will have outputs for a subwoofer

ActiveFun 02-03-2004 12:03 AM

Thanks
What are surround L and surround R?? Where is the speaker placement for those as compared to rear R and rear L?

FWK 02-03-2004 07:38 AM

The suround left and right are normally placed about mi room where your seatin area is. this does depend on the type of speaker design that you are using.

Audiofn 02-03-2004 09:25 AM

FWK and Fever got the positioning correct. You DO NOT need to set the room up like this if you do not have all those speakers. You can go into the processor and turn off speakers that you do not have. Some rooms sound like crap with a 7.1 set up so a 5.1 set up is better. Experience is what dictates this. Well the wife also :D:D

ActiveFun 02-04-2004 10:20 AM

Thanks,
I dont think the room will be able to have side speakers.

LapseofReason 02-04-2004 11:31 AM

Hey Audiofn, I have the 73 Mitsubishi HD, the room it is in is 18x32 the way it has to be set up is watching it on the short side, the TV is built into the wall so your head is about 15 feet from the TV. I have 5 of those big leather chairs 3 straight and the ones on the ends have the pie cut shaped arms so they angle in a bit. I have a older Harmon Kardon receiver 5.1 and JBL speakers. and a JBL sub with 2 10 inch subs.

I want to keep the sub but up grade everything else, I want to put the speakers into the wall/ceiling. The wall behind you and one short wall are pretty much all glass the walls are 2x6 and very solid the ceiling is 10 feet. What do I want? I am not a total nut when it comes to this stuff so I only want to spend around 3-4K.

Audiofn 02-09-2004 08:19 PM

Well my suggestion is one step at a time. If you only want to spend 3-4 grand now then My suggestion would be to focus on one thing and one thing alone. The speakers. Harmon receivers are a good mid-fi receiver. I would probably suggest that you replace the speakers with something along the lines of a Triad, or B&W. There are lots of other choices out there. If you would like I can go over some of the things to look for in a good speaker. DO NOT overlook speaker placement it is CRITICAL to a good sounding system.

Jon

LapseofReason 02-09-2004 08:27 PM

The receiver has to go too, it's not digital. I will get with you next week when I have some time to talk on the phone.