Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whats Safer at 120  -  V or Cat >

Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat

Notices
View Poll Results: What would you feel safer in at 120 MPH
Deep V - i.e. (Outerlimits,Cig Maximus,Fountain)
37.78%
Cat - i.e (Skater, MTI,Spectre,Nor Tech)
62.22%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat

Old 03-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think any of the insurance actuaries are boaters... they just crunch the numbers and statistics... more claims on cats equals more money in premiums. I own an old POS Ferrari.. full coverage is rediculous in cost... why? Even though the value of the car isn't much... it just screams "high claims" to the insurance company. Even the liability is high... because they think you are driving way over the speed limit all the time.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
I don't think any of the insurance actuaries are boaters... they just crunch the numbers and statistics... more claims on cats equals more money in premiums. I own an old POS Ferrari.. full coverage is rediculous in cost... why? Even though the value of the car isn't much... it just screams "high claims" to the insurance company. Even the liability is high... because they think you are driving way over the speed limit all the time.
Don't try to figure out insurance companies. The difference in premium between my Lexus LX430 and my VW Jetta diesel is $100. Both vehicles are 2001, can't figure out why. My 94 Toyota pickup is $175 less than the Lex.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It's an interesting angle

The insurance angle sounds somewhat logical but I agree that It has holes in it. My Hummer is more than my sportscar??

I went for a ride in a V at 90+ the other day 38 ft It was exhilarating but not for me. The chine walk freaked me out a little....but that was me those of you who run fast V's will most likely feel otherwise.

Now to Blow overs... as someone mentioned earlier most boats (cats) that get in to trouble become unsettled and hook resulting in flips commonly mistaken for Blowing over. I must mention that this is almost invariably due to driver error. Going too fast for conditions, skill or equipment.

The fact of the matter is it's much easier to go fast in a cat and because in some instances it can be relatively less expensive more people do it ...law of averages ...more accidents.

Not to be grim but as more V's break the 100+ barrier ...accidents will occur, not if but when.

Maximus
Life jacket wearin OSO'er!
Old 03-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance as relationship?

Comparing insurance costs is not fair and using insurance companines opinions in relationship to safety is not a foundation for decision. Many excellent points have been made on a this thread.

I have been in both over 100 mph. The fastest in a cat has been 137. It was like sitting at the dining room table. We could even talk back and forth. V's like to lauch occassionally at high speed. They can barrel roll. I have seen a few come down on the side. They tend to stuff more often than roll.

Insurance relationship. I am 54. No accidents. No tickets. My Top Gun: $1800 twin 600's
My Cat: $5,000 twin 1,000's
My High Perform Plane $1,700
My Ferrari 97 F355 $350
My Infiniti SUV $700+
Old 03-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Registered

I have lost a engine at over 120 in my 28 cat last year it did nothing but handle like it always did i kept it on plain knocking like the dickens to make it back in approx 7 mile's Not saying i was Lucky just stating a Fact.. also day before that i twisted a propshaft at about 80mph & lost the prop maybe i'm like a cat & have 9 live's dunno know, & actually don't want to find out, but i have alway's felt safer in the Cat at 120+ Than my v bottom and it run's in the mid 80's
Old 03-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Registered

Default interesting

The poll's % difference has a simmilar correlation to the difference in speed between the two (all things being equal).....

Maximus
Old 03-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Registered

Good observation! I have also noticed that the poll is narrowing the difference between the 2 as this thread continues. Thought it would widen as we go on. MAX: your ride sounds awesome. I love CATS. Kind a seperates the men and boys..
Old 03-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Feeling safe and being safe are two different things.

G
Old 03-15-2004, 06:18 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The only thing insurance Co's access is risk, the bigger the premium the bigger their risk, they don't care much of peoples opinion.

For an eduction on insurance and re-insurance read Warren Buffett's letter to is investors from 2001, 2002 and then 2003. In that order. He's a Dem but he is funny as heck with the tongue in cheek humor.

http://berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html

Then you'll understand that insurance Co.'s don't have agendas all the have is pointy headed actuaries calculating risk. The higher the premium the higher the risk... So what is safer again?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Registered

Default higher the speed higher the risk

GLH, using your reasoning:
Cats or tunnel hulls being the faster of the two would command a higher premium.

I agree with you but also believe availability and cost to do the speed play a factor. Crowd gets smaller.. not many have the jack to make a big V go over 120.

20 k will buy you a small tunnel that will hit the #

What do yu think?

maximus

Thanks Downtown!! lots of fun

Quick Reply: Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.