Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/70898-whats-safer-120-v-cat.html)

Maximus 02-04-2004 08:17 AM

GlassDave

No problem! Its good to get people thinking.

I thought this would make for an interesting discussion. We all agree that the it is becoming more comon place for performance boats to be hitting these incredible speeds. Latly more Very High performance V bottoms are performing @ 115 ++ mph.

We know what happens when Cats get in trouble (much easier and many more cats go over a hundred).

I watched an unamed fast V start chine walking at 134mph ....yikes no different or scary than a cat in trouble.

So is the Chine Walk the V's biggest nemisis at those speeds?

Maximus

Dueclaws 02-04-2004 09:01 AM

And I would add Jaguar to your list of cats. Very strong construction: probably overbuilt (and heavier), but a great boat.
Due

Gary Anderson 02-04-2004 09:25 AM

I've had 3 cats that ran over 100mph and always felt safe. I've never felt as safe in a V over 70mph. A cat, no doubt.
Gary

KiloKat 02-04-2004 09:34 AM

Let me pose this question in an attempt to add clarity. How many of us have experienced or have witnessed a blowover versus chinewalk?

mr_velocity 02-04-2004 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
I personaly would only want a cat if it was 40 feet or bigger. I just have a fear of going 120 mph in a cat and it fliping over backwards. I have yet to see a V-hull flip over backwards at speed, and since I don't race I don't feel the need to push any boat I drive in a turn to it's limits.
Out in rough seas I would rather stuff the front of a 5000 Nortech V-hull than one side of a 5000 cat.

How many offshore cats have you seen blow over? Other than the video that is floating around of one in Europe that was way more than 40' in length the only other one I know of is Pat Petel's in testing only becuase the switch for the tunnel tab was mounted upside down.

Cat all the way.

Whatever boat you decided, wear a vest.

robyw1 02-04-2004 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Gary Anderson
I've had 3 cats that ran over 100mph and always felt safe. I've never felt as safe in a V over 70mph. A cat, no doubt.
Gary

:rolleyes: Oh come on, even my little 22' V feels safe at 70.

Roby

LapseofReason 02-04-2004 09:40 AM

That is why i said it would have to be over 40 feet. I would feel safe in something of that size. Now if your going to put me in a 24 footer and do 120, let me out.

Gary Anderson 02-04-2004 09:50 AM

robyw1
I said "AS SAFE".
I honestly felt like my cats were more stable, controlable, etc. at 100mph than any of my V hulls at 70mph.
Gary

Sea Ya 02-04-2004 10:01 AM

Depends on offshore vs lake boating.

jafo 02-04-2004 10:07 AM

A very tough poll to answer : A better question: how many of the 15,745 members of this site have even been 100mph in ANY boat? I'm going out on a limb and guess 2-3%.
IMHO, I think it will be very hard to get any kind of accurate answer to your poll since there is so little experience with the question.;) :)
Now an opinion? that's a completely different animal.....:D