Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/70898-whats-safer-120-v-cat.html)

TGC-32 11-16-2005 12:31 PM

Re: Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat

Cat, no question about it. A mistake in a cat at that speed, you have a chance. A mistake in a V-bottom at the speed, you don't.

Tom
Total Marine

Philip 11-16-2005 01:53 PM

Hi Tom!

Hi Tom,, how are you?? are you up north this weekend? or will you be in KW??

Phil Filipone

TGC-32 11-16-2005 02:24 PM

Hey Philip! I wish I was in Key West racing, but I'm afraid those days are over, at least for awhile. My wife, Robin, gave birth to our twin sons on September 26, and we already have a three year old son, so I'm afraid my traveling days are over for now.

Give me a call some time. I'll be in Florida soon on business so maybe I'll stop in to see Michael.

Regards,

Tom

Philip 11-16-2005 03:07 PM

Twins Omg

Wow,, that is really something!! Robin and you are going to have your hands full, I know from first hand experience! LOL As a matter of fact, I am going to meet Michael in KW on Friday AM, staying with him till Sunday, and then back to NJ for me. I will call you to chat soon.

Philip

Philip 11-16-2005 03:14 PM

Skater???? Where did the name come from??? SteveH

SteveH. Look on the older Skater Logo's and on some of the trailer beams,, you will see a little multi legged "Skater" Bug ,,, That is all it is,,, Steve H

LOL

Semper Fi 05-04-2006 08:55 PM

Too be honest, I think it's a hard question to answer.....statistics show that a V bottom is safer. Everyone drives their boat differently and has different skills so you get all different answers.

I would personally drive a boat (v and cat) and see what YOU personally feel more comforable to be in. I think more people would say catamaran because they can easily attain speeds of 120+ mph , where it is uncommon for V bottoms to reach these speeds.

hammer01 05-05-2006 02:29 PM

From personal experience, friday afternoon at the loto shootout in 3-4 footers i rode in a 36 foot spectre at 117 and had no fear whatsoever. 1 hour later i was driving a true 32 foot v at 100mph and it was spooky(yet fun as he??). no comparison with the air entrapment of the cat to give you "enough" lift to smooth out the ride. my .02

TUFFboat 05-06-2006 09:32 AM

When comparisons are made between the cat and vee I will use this 'generalization'.

In calm water... as speeds increase a cat is easier to drive than a vee ( almost boaring ) as the vee goes faster it starts to walk and it becomes challenging ( more fun ).

In rough water... as speeds increase a vee is easier to drive than a cat ( almost boaring ) as the cat goes faster it starts to lift and fly and it becomes challenging ( more fun ).

The bigger the boat, the more speed you will need to get the desired effect.

The original question asked for flat water ease and safty, so big cat is the answer.

My opinion

mw

Pantera1 05-06-2006 12:47 PM

Statistics and Insurance premiums say Vees are safer.

customryder 05-06-2006 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Statistics and Insurance premiums say Vees are safer.

the insurance is higher on my toyota celica that on the viper...they are very confused ( i deal with them everyday) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: