Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Nasty Inlet (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71011-nasty-inlet.html)

ScottB 02-05-2004 02:21 PM

Have you been to the new lighthouse post?
Its called the square grouper and it is an awesome spot

NJgr8ful 02-05-2004 02:38 PM

Originally posted by ScottB
Have you been to the new lighthouse post?
Its called the square grouper and it is an awesome spot

Well Scott, first I must confess I am not really the official keeper of the Jupiter Light, being in NJ I can only be the official back-up, to the official keeper, which is my Dad. His shift starts everyday 4pm sharp.

Nope, haven't tried the Square Grouper yet, I'll have to see if dad's been there on an interview for the spot! Maybe he can do 2 shifts a day .. I highly doubt it though :eek: :D :p

I hope to down the last week of Feb or 1st of March to say hi to everyone and make sure ole Jup is OK, dad's gettin older you know .....

ScottB 02-05-2004 02:46 PM

Lets hook up for a beer when you get down

Formula Outlaw 02-05-2004 03:32 PM

Try this:

Bay of Fundy
70 to 80 ft. tides.
35/40 ft. whirlpools
Closes to all boat traffic except at slack tide

will try to find a website. I have seen this by land. Unfrigginbelievable............................... ....................

those whirlpools would suck a top gun down like a soda bottle.

Formula Outlaw 02-05-2004 10:10 PM

I was up there in 1996 for a wedding, spent four days in the area. Depending on time of year, the difference in tide can change. I'm relying on memory here (and my wife says that's been missing for years) but I believe it was a "tides as much as 70/80 feet occur". Thinking back that suggests that may not be a daily occurance. I know I saw tide changes that had to be 60 feet anyway. The whirlppools are what scared the hell out of me. I have never seen anything like those. Looking at them through binoculars the middle just dropped right out of sight, I mean big, like garage sized holes in the water where there just didn't appear to be anything. I did find a website but didn't tell me anything. I also remember in school being taught about the massive tide changes at Bay of Fundy and they were touting 70 ft. tides then, you know back when Columbus was looking for America. I know in Maine they have 16 ft. normal tide changes, once in a while maybe 18 ft. in Camden. At the floating docks there, at high tide they are just about perfectly horizontal, and at low tide you have to hang on the handrails to go down, or climb up. Seriously steep.

Formula Outlaw 02-06-2004 07:11 AM

Scott, that was a wicked cool website. And your right, watching that is like nothing else. It was right about the sound of water when the tide rushes back up the river with that wave coming at you. Of all the places I've been, that, for me, might have been the most captivating. You watch it, and yet you still somewhat don't believe what you are watching. Surreal. You were correct in that site has the record listed at 53 ft.

I called two friends last night "up narth" and asked them about the tide heights. Both of them said they were interested and would check on it for me, but both of them said they thought it was higher than 50 ft. They will research it a little further and get back with me.

On another note of natural phenomenon. On top of Mt. Washington (New Hampshire I think) there is a weather station. In the summer you can drive up there. Highest winds on the planet were recorded there, 231 mph. There is a plaque proclaiming the speed, date, time, etc. The building is "chained" down to the rock with chain that the links are like eight inches thich, or something like that. That' pretty intense to look at. In talking to one of the research directors, the winds can actually lift the structure off the rock, hence the chains. If you're ever in that neck of the woods, check it out. Russ

NJgr8ful 02-07-2004 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scott B, You ever see this in person?? :)

NJgr8ful 02-07-2004 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one from DuBois Park

NJgr8ful 02-07-2004 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more ... looks kinda peaceful and serene, huh?!

NJgr8ful 02-07-2004 04:11 PM

I've been in and out of Jupiter Inlet many many times ... I was never the one driving though :eek: :D :D Black Dog Charter boat most always ...

Bay of Fundy don't look too Fundy :p :D