Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   All Of Our Jobs Have Gone To India (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71176-all-our-jobs-have-gone-india.html)

BK 02-07-2004 04:12 PM

The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 made most legal immigrants who arrived after August 22, 1996 ineligible for federal means-tested welfare benefits unless they are refugees, veterans of the US Armed Services, or have worked at least 10 years in the US. Immigrants were 10 to 15 percent of the recipients of benefits under most welfare programs in 1996. When PRWORA was enacted, 44 percent of the projected savings to the federal government were attributed to making immigrants not eligible for welfare benefits.

In 2002, at the urging of President Bush, immigrants became eligible for Food Stamps after five years in the US- the House voted 244 to 171 to restore Food Stamp benefits to immigrants in April 2002, over the objections of House leaders. In June 2002, the Senate approved giving states the option of providing Medicaid to legal immigrant children and pregnant women, with the federal government sharing the cost- the federal share is projected to be $2.2 billion over 10 years.

mr_velocity 02-07-2004 05:54 PM

Originally posted by mlitefan
Yep...That is the HUGE upside to all of this that almost never gets discussed.
Sorry no upside. Hi-tech jobs are leaving this country at an alarming rate. These are the white collar jobs that were paying 100K/ year. On the bright side, companies are finding that the golden lining of offshoring isn't so golden. Rates are going up in India and the programmers don't have the talent of the US engineers. The model that companies are trying to use is the same model that was used in manufacturing. However, software development is not an assembly job like a manufacturing job. It requires 90% design engineering. The quality of the software just isn't there.

Hi-tech is so bad in NJ that unemployment will no longer allow any computer related training for those without jobs.

Reed Jensen 02-07-2004 06:08 PM

Originally posted by BK
The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 made most legal immigrants who arrived after August 22, 1996 ineligible for federal means-tested welfare benefits unless they are refugees, veterans of the US Armed Services, or have worked at least 10 years in the US. Immigrants were 10 to 15 percent of the recipients of benefits under most welfare programs in 1996. When PRWORA was enacted, 44 percent of the projected savings to the federal government were attributed to making immigrants not eligible for welfare benefits.

In 2002, at the urging of President Bush, immigrants became eligible for Food Stamps after five years in the US- the House voted 244 to 171 to restore Food Stamp benefits to immigrants in April 2002, over the objections of House leaders. In June 2002, the Senate approved giving states the option of providing Medicaid to legal immigrant children and pregnant women, with the federal government sharing the cost- the federal share is projected to be $2.2 billion over 10 years.

BK.... it's obvious you don't live in California.... almost every Mexican that jumps over the border illegally has a relative already living here... they have learned how to milk the system.. the hospitals CANNOT REFUSE them medical care on the basis of ability to pay... guess who picks up the tab... you got it... Joe American citizen.You think the Mexicans are bad at exploiting the system? Try the Armenians or the Russians.... they have lots of experience exploiting the old soviet system... you should see them driving up to the grocery stores in their new Mercedes Benzs... paying for food with food stamps... they have figured out every angle... they even have their own atorneys advertising on television on how to get immigration status and free welfare... The mexicans drive here WITHOUT drivers licenses... or even the minimum of insurance... why bother? The police won't even ticket them if they get into an accident.. it just means more paper work for them and the illegal isn't going to show up or pay the fine anyway... they just continue on their merry way... and then change their name from Ramirez to Rodriguez the next time they get pulled over... but me... being a white boy... they put the screws to me... I have to be legal eagle or they put me in jail.

Reed Jensen 02-07-2004 06:26 PM

Danny _ Ocean just doesn't understand that a job market is like an ecosystem.... The entire economy is dependent upon these "entry level jobs" just as an ecosystem is dependent upon insects. If you remove all the insects.. of course the problem of the flies goes away... but along with the flies are the bees... hmmmm... if there are no bees... what is going to pollinate our crops? What is going to feed the wild birds?... you see.... every society has to have these entry jobs... we can't have all of our manufacturing jobs going to China... or tech jobs to India... The reality of life is there are some people in this society that are never going to be able to educate themselves to achieve a job above anything more than just that of an automaton. If we don't provide some kind of meaningful employment for them... then they become a burden on the rest of us. Couple that with a large influx of unskilled labor and it spells a downward spiral of our living standard. Until Clinton allowed China to flood our markets with cheap goods... the average Chinese person lived on a farm and cooked in a communal kitchen using cow dung for fuel..... Is that what they want for us? Because pretty soon we will all be out of jobs. Corporate America doensn't care about the American worker unless the Government makes them... Their first and foremost responsibility is to the STOCKHOLDER. If the CEO's can maximize profit by having their goods made offshore... they have to go offshore or risk being voted off the board. It all comes down to greed.It's the same reason Clinton kept China as "favored nation status". His excuse was "We don't want China to revert back to Communism". But really he wanted to continue to receive the contributions to his re-election campaign.

BK 02-07-2004 06:32 PM

Actually, I was born and raised in the southwest - spent most of my life one hour from Havasu.

But now I live in Indiana. I never expected to find more illegal immigrants here than I did in Arizona.

But that's because this area is loaded with good paying manufacturing plants. This is the home of RV, trailer and manufactured housing. But if you walk into any of these plants, you will find 90% of the workforce speak another language (Spanish mostly, but Russian too).They all have driver's licenses with names like "Todd Bridges" or "Paul Hogan". But they prefer to be called by their "nicknames"; Jose and Arturo.

The average starting wages are $10 per hour for non-skilled, with a $2.00 /hour show up bonus if they aren't late or sick for the entire month.

Do you know what the most common name is at the school my son attends?

5 years ago it was Miller.

Today, it is Lopez.

Reed Jensen 02-07-2004 06:35 PM

Like I said.... we are experiencing a foreign invasion. And the worst part is our jobs are leaving. So the competition for what jobs are left forces wages down.

BK 02-07-2004 06:36 PM

Yes, just like Honduras.

StrikinLightnin 02-07-2004 06:55 PM

I recently bought a Dell computer.
I called technical support one evening
and who answered but "Yoshie"(real name).
I had a registry problem that needed to be changed.
Every letter that he stated had to be paraphrased:B as in boy,G as in good,D as in dog>>>>>>PLEASE<<<<<<
I purchased this computer because it's an outfit out of
TEXAS - you know USA ;)
I want to speak to an American technical worker when I
need assistance.
Now every time I speak to someone at Dell I complain about this Indian outsourcing of there technical service.
I've been told recently that a LOT of people have complained about the dealing with overseas technical support and Dell is bringing this support back to the United States.
I SURE HOPE SO!!!:rolleyes:

Pantera1 02-07-2004 06:56 PM

This may offend some

But If the economy realy took a dump ..Maybe the US wouldnt be invaded by people coming to this country to get on the system ..
And what about some sort of salary cap for CEO's

BK 02-07-2004 07:02 PM

Here's a website dedicated to Outsourcing jobs to India.

http://www.callcentersindia.com/call_centers_news.php

The Bright Side of Outsourcing
From a global perspective, offshore outsourcing does have a bright side -- in India and other outsourcing destinations. It reinforces the benefit of higher education, allows individuals to purchase cars and gives workers confidence and hope for the future.

Outsourcing may be a bane to many U.S. technology, finance and manufacturing employees, but it has proved a boon -- and a catalyst for cultural change -- to nations like India that are reaping the benefits of this trend.

It is fortunate that a bright side for employees exists, because the outsourcing tide seems unstoppable. By 2015, more than 472,000 computer-related jobs alone will move overseas, versus 27,000 in 2000, according to Forrester Research estimates.

India is the top choice for offshore outsourcing, a World Bank study found. IT-enabled services in the country grew 70 percent between 2000 and 2002, according to a study released last year by the McKinsey Quarterly and the National Association of Software & Services Companies (NASSCOM), an Indian software industry organization. Also, as of September 2003, 360,000 Indians were involved in technology-related services compared with 242,000 the previous year, Chappaqua, New York-based market research and business intelligence firm Evalueserve said.

By 2008, 1 million Indians are expected to be employed in the services sector, NASSCOM predicts, and the sector will generate between $21 billion and $24 billion. In 2002, the Indian IT-enabled services industry reaped revenue of $2.3 billion, up from $1.5 billion in 2001. And this year, Indian software and services exports are projected to grow by up to 28 percent, reaching revenue of $12 billion, the industry group expects.