All Of Our Jobs Have Gone To India

Notices

All Of Our Jobs Have Gone To India

Old 02-07-2004, 07:04 PM
BK
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More: http://www.callcentersindia.com/disp....php?idnews=14

Although Indian employees typically earn less than their American counterparts, those lower salaries go further in India. The standard of living is improving, said Ramesh Nair, CEO and creative director of Niyati Technologies, based in Chennai, India. The five-year-old company offers such services as application development, user interface design, Web site creation and multimedia production. Its U.S. client list includes BMW, drugstore.com and Hewlett-Packard.

"[The standard of living] definitely has gone up," Nair told the E-Commerce Times. "The last time there was such a boom was when people -- mainly from South Indian states like Kerala -- went to the Middle East for jobs. The difference is that, earlier, people only made money. Now people are more open to accepting American values and culture too."
Old 02-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most assuredly that is wonderful... Now I'll have a Holy Cow burger and a side of fried rat....
Old 02-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Trust me guys, I'm in Tech so I know what is going on... but let's take a real look at this instead of doing the offshore only rant...

That Dell you bought, how much did you pay for it, how much was it last year, would you have bought a Dell at a higher price?

(Here's where I get it...) How about union labor and protectionist policy? It's effects on the cost of goods and profit?

In my company, I saw 450 out of 600 people laid off and there was no protection there - our lovely stock market did that through over-valuation and wild speculation. I have had 3-4 years of 70 and sometimes 80 hour weeks - became chief cook and bottle...

There is a silver lining, I was able to move into a higher tier technical job after about 18 hours of interviews and now, finally, I have it somewhat made working for one of the top technology co.s in the world.

You betcha with the Indian workforce, I deal with them daily. But I have never seen a more ambitious and hard-working set of m-ffrs. I have firend who own lawn bsuiness who WILL not hire whites or blacks. I have to tell you also I have had good all american house cleaners and they did a sh$%y job and stole from me.

Not to generalize, but is our workforce as driven and hungry... or are we just *****ing and demanding?

BTW - look at how Japan's economy is hurting, they WERE the India in the late 70's and early 80's. They are going through the same change we did back then.

I'm not happy about offshoring, and I hope it fails, but let's at least be informed about it.

(About the accents, I hope nobody here would be willing to take a bullet to protect the Queen's English, better to plug a terrorist)

Last edited by Shooter; 02-07-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Registered

I'm a technical worker AND a union member.
Some jobs in this country need to be protected
because of the flood of illegal imports.
And yes I would pay more for my computer to
keep tech support in the US.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

That's my point, it takes conviction and putting your money where you mouth is....

I drive american cars (BTW) at least some of them is made in the USA.

Blaming politicians is silly, they pander to the voting public and special interest.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Fightclub

It is going to get a lot worse before it gets better... If it ever get's better.....

Free Trade....

FU*CK THIS..... I am in Detroit you should see how we are being ripped of from an Automotive end.....

I get upset every time I have to talk about this or think about it so........

F China

F India

Even Mexico is *****ing about these countries... what does that tell you?

Attached Thumbnails All Of Our Jobs Have Gone To India-middle_finger.jpg  

Old 02-07-2004, 09:17 PM
BK
Registered

For Christmas we wanted to buy our son an air hockey table. We went to the local sporting goods store and found one for $500 - it glowed in the dark and had overhead flashing lights - real cool. Made in China.

Then we went to a billiard table store and found one there for $700. There was no flashing lights and no glow in the dark glitz.

But I could just tell this table was built much better than the other table. It felt sturdy and solid and would last a long time. So that is the one we bought.

It was made in Chicago.

But how many folks would have bought the other one?
Old 02-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by mlitefan
And, contrary to popular belief, people don't start companies to provide jobs for others...they do it to make a profit.

That is the cold hard reality.
Regardless of the motivation, the fact of the matter is, people starting companies DOES provide jobs.

Here's a corollary: People don't go to work everyday to make their company owner wealthy. They go to put money in their own pockets.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Ric232

Perfect example:

About six months ago, I needed a wrench that I did not have . . . a single wrench. I happened to be at Target and noticed that I could get a 138 piece DURABUILT mechanic's tool kit w/ case on sale for $29.99. Lifetime guarantee. Made in China. It looked good, so I bought it.

I used it for a lot of light duty stuff for a while and it worked okay. The wratcheting action of the socket set wasn't that smooth, but it was good enough. Last night I started doing some work on my SUV. There were a couple of bolts that were very tight. I got myself into a position with some leverage so I could put some muscle into it and the Durabuilt socket I was using split in half !! Tried another one . . . same friggin thing!! So, did I dig out my receipt and pack the broken parts up to send off for replacement under the LIFETIME WARRANTY !! Hell no !! I threw the crap in the corner of the garage, went down to Sears and bought a Craftsman 318 piece set for $400 !! Made in the USA; probably the last set of tools I'll ever buy.

The point is, it was my choice, and I changed my thinking and spoke with my wallet. I'll still keep most of the other junk . . . you can never have too many wrenches and stuff (in the cars, boat, house, etc.). Does this mean I'll only buy MADE IN THE USA from now on? No. My SUV is a Ford, but my car is a Lexus (an awesome car at that). I'll just think more carefully about the intended use of the product I'm buying and whether or not the product made in China will be adequate. You can rest assurred that I will continue to buy soap dishes from China !!

On a separate, but very related issue: Does this mean I think the citizens of China are incapable of making a quality product?? Absolutely not. But the current state of affairs is such that virtually all of the production in China is to provide low-cost alternatives, so they are not designed to be high-quality. I think customers realize this when they make their choices.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some Chinese wrenches... I love them.... I keep them in a separate drawer from my snap-on wrenches which I always use. I keep the Chinese ones to heat and bend to get at strange applications... cause once you bend them you can't put much torque on them anyway... but talk about junk.... I can't stand the fact that they try to knock off Snap-on with the look and second.. no, third class finish.

Quick Reply: All Of Our Jobs Have Gone To India

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.