Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   All Of Our Jobs Have Gone To India (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71176-all-our-jobs-have-gone-india.html)

formula31 02-08-2004 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Erie Desire
There is no engineering talent shortage. If there where then wages would go up and American youngsters would find engineering disciplines a valid educational option. Considering the wages and career limitations that are offered to engineers because of the H1-B policy, American youth do not view engineering as a growth opportunity. Does an intelligent American youth want to put up with 4 years of engineering school, where foreign professors teach to foreign students, just to earn $50-60K/yr after 10 years; assuming that the embedded H1-B managers in America are hiring Americans. If there were such a shortage of engineers, then why are engineering wages below the scale of middle management for which there is known to be a great supply and yet surprisingly remains the educational choice of the American youth. The opinion of the American business student is that only an idiot or a foreigner want to be an engineer. As things look in 10/20 years is the US going to out-source OUR national defense, since there will definitely be a shortage of American engineering talent?.
Right on the nose. Additionally, the misguided emphasis and adoration of sports and sports figures has created a real problem for our youth. My 14 year old grandson honestly believes that he will be a sports superstar and thats how he will make his living. Its unfortunate that so much emphasis is put on sports these days that the kids believe this is a viable career choice.

The young engineers we have been hiring lately are more politicians than engineer. Very good at BS and covering their butts and not very good at accomplishing anything of value.

Ric232 02-08-2004 11:09 AM

Originally posted by formula31
Its unfortunate that so much emphasis is put on sports these days that the kids believe this is a viable career choice.

Again, more people need to speak with their wallets. Don't buy the friggin' season tickets !!

taba 02-08-2004 12:04 PM

david ricardo...comparative advantage...

joseph schumpeter...creative destruction...

Raylar 02-08-2004 12:10 PM

Some boaters are part of the problem the american consumer suffers from. Its this buy cheap!, discount this lower the cost on that! Wal Mart mentality thats getting us into this problem! Stupid comsumers are pushing the markets offshore and the Wall Street boys are right behind them pushing just as hard! The old addage "you get what you pay for" and "if its to good to be true, it probably is"! don't seem to mean much anymore. A lot of people are so busy trying to buy everything so cheap that they don't even realize that its there own future livelyhood and their kids own future they are sacraficing.
Raylar has just come out with a whole new line of 496 high perf. products and you can't believe how hard it was to find a total package of US suppliers to work with to put our product line together. It was hard, but we fought the temptation of the cheap offshore "deals" to keep made in the USA on our parts! Were not going to always be the cheapest but at least I know that the hard earned dollars our boat customers spend with us, will stay here to help us all!
I am going to get off my soapbox now! God Bless Fast Boats and the people in our community who make them possible!
Raylar;)

Reed Jensen 02-08-2004 12:33 PM

Ross Perot for all his weird mannerisms was correct on one thing... "If Clinton is elected and Nafta goes through... we may all have jobs... but they will be chicken pluckin' jobs. Because all of our manufacturing will leave and go to other countries." It's true.. there isn't a thing we consume today that isn't made in China. Pretty soon even the boat magazines we read will be printed in China because it will be cheaper to print the magazines there and fly them here than it will be to just print them here. Think I'm crazy?? Give it time...

Reed Jensen 02-08-2004 12:40 PM

Raylar is correct one the subject of the "Wal-mart" effect... everyone wants a deal.... Is the quality of my life going to be effected if I spend 3 or 4 dollars more for something that is made in America? Nope... but try to find anything that is made here anymore.. almost impossible. Our politicians are going to have to put some trade restrictions on imports... including people ... or our economy is going to suffer.Look at the difference in cost between Carillo rods and Eagle rods... one is made in China.. the other in USA. How many connecting rods is one person going to buy in a lifetime? I think if the import duty made the Eagle rod as expensive as the Carillo rod... everyone would buy the Carillo rod... People forget that this country survived WITHOUT any income tax for almost 150 years.. How? by import duties. Now with our politicians spending money faster than it is coming in we are being taxed to death.

StrikinLightnin 02-08-2004 01:10 PM

Didn't Mercury send there Outboard Division to China?
Speaking for myself I'm proud to be runing "American Iron" out there on the water.
I'd hate to see the performance division go overseas,
Kinda like buying a Harley made in Japan.
It's just not the same.

Kent Perroux 02-08-2004 01:58 PM

Protectionism may be good for the manufaturing labor that it protects, but only for a short time. Eventually, the companies that do not adjust to the global market will lose competitiveness and face banckruptcy. They need the most productivity for the least amount of cost.

We can now afford all those toys and luxuries today because of the global workforce and market. Anyone remember their mothers saving up for a new toaster? or new 19" TV? Both technology AND labor help put these items into the consumable category.

The increased economies in these countries increase their ability to buy more american goods. In South America, you can buy a pair of Blue Jeans for about $5. But most people there prefer to buy american brands, even though they are more expensive than buying them here in the US!

Our american companies have to search out the best talent at the most reasonable prices, or their competition will. I definately agree that many companies have been hasty in this search and have only looked that the cost and qualifications, but left out the "ABILITY to perform" portion. (the technical call centers).

We all have the option of what items we purchase and where they are manufacured, unfortunately, many items (like cars) are difficult to know the full extent of their manufacture.

Don't shoot the companies that are trying to make a profit for stockholders of whom you may be...

You can vote best by paying attention to what you buy and where it is made and/or serviced.

Reed Jensen 02-08-2004 03:01 PM

Anytime an American company comes up with a new manufacturing technique to be competitive with China.... the Chinese steal the technology and undercut our prices.... Does anyone know about the trade barriers against American products in Japan? We can't export to Japan because they don't want the competition. And yet Japanese companies do "product dumping" over here and drive our companies out of business... I'm all for fair trade... but these bastards don't understand the meaning of the word "fair".... Talk to any Chinese person ... they will tell you that their culture tells them that once something is invented... it is for all the world... they don't respect trademarks or patents. What is the point of an American company tooling up to make something when in less than a year they will be competing with the Chinese knockoff of their own design? I'm sorry.... I get really upset when someone thinks that open trade policies are fair. One business cannot defend themselves against Chinese knockoffs... I know people that have invented devices... put them on the market... and in less than a year... see their orders for products disappear... They go back to their customers to see what is up.... and they see a knock off of their product.... Turn the product upside down and sure as sh*t... proudly displayed on the bottom "Made in China".... I know I would want to smash all the stuff on the spot... When this person called the trade department about product infringement.... they were told to hire an attorney themselves... too much trouble for the government to deal with.... great... so here is a guy that finally got a product off the ground... and it's gone.... gone to China and came back on a boat at pennies on the dollar. Thank you Bill Clinton. !

my32dominator 02-08-2004 04:32 PM

Bush Claims We Can Have It All:
"And we can proceed with tax relief without fear of budget deficits, even if the economy softens." [Bush, Kalamazoo, MI, 3/27/01]

:confused: Now we have one of the largest deficits in History.

Just my .02