Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain Does 156.9 MPH (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71187-fountain-does-156-9-mph.html)

dreamboater 02-09-2004 05:52 PM

So when does a Cat get at the edge of disaster? Dont get me wrong I love Skaters, Nortechs, MTI's and many others, but at what speed are they "pushing the envelope." The V's are trying to prove just what the Cats proved and are still proving. Records were meant to be broken, thats what drives the competitive edge in all of us. With out it, technology in boats would never advance. I dont think anyone is trying to prove that V's are faster than Cats if thats what you were after.

Reed Jensen 02-09-2004 07:37 PM

I like having a cabin... all the "cabins" in cats... except for the really big ones.... are cramped..Plus.... some of the narrow canyons at Lake Powell are so narrow... that a cat couldn't possibly get into one... sad but true..

bojoe2 02-09-2004 08:25 PM

ttt

10x 02-09-2004 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
It's not a record, just a certified speed. It's a long way from the 170 that was said to be the speed Reggie was hoping for. Anybody want to bet OL goes 10 mph faster.
If that bet still stands, I know a bunch of guys (me included) that would jump right on it.

INDY27 02-10-2004 05:21 AM

Originally posted by mcollinstn
The power of OSO is formidable.
When joined as one, the subscriber base has the ability to frustrate like no other.

When the need arises, the collective becomes as one mind. Regardless of individual interests, when a victim is seen floundering in his words, the smell of blood is released and the whole atmosphere changes. The apes pile on, like a bunch of drunk frat boys on a passed out co-ed. Like a bunch of rioters, the group moves and thinks as one - witness the Rodney King debacle. Witness the looting and pillaging. Witness the Apache threads. Witness the threads on the benefits of step hulls.

More than a simple excuse to act bad, the situation itself triggers something in the individual that encourages each to act as one arm of a single large entity.

Kind of like the Borg.

You Will Be Assimilated.

Resistance Is Futile...

LMAO :) :) :) :)

LapseofReason 02-10-2004 07:25 AM

Originally posted by 10x
If that bet still stands, I know a bunch of guys (me included) that would jump right on it.
The bet would be for an average speed of 163, since Fountain's was 153, When I offered the bet.

Hauling Trash 02-10-2004 07:52 AM

Reggie`s speed was 157. So OL will have to go 167.

I`ll take that bet .There no way that OL will go that fast.

Mike

T2x 02-10-2004 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
So T2x, let me get this straight. There is no reason what so ever for any V-hull or stepped V by any maker to try to go any faster than where they are at now just because cat's are faster? Should they quit racing V's and only race cats?
No......but, there should be a clear distinction.....and acknowledgement that one design is a superior performer to another...... At present many vees are still marketed as the "fastest....safest...best turning"....all of which is patently false...... and more importantly...many people believe it. These "speed runs" feed this baloney.

Having built both vees and cats....I understand they both have a place..... even in racing. But, you must admit, all of the current speed attempts for both cats and vees..... have crossed the line of the absurd...some time ago.

Remember, if you put enough horsepower on a bathtub.....etc, etc..............

What's the point?

To me, the most exciting news in vee bottoms is the purchase by the Fiore's of an autoclave...... Using that technology they can create what will undoubtedly be the highest tech monohull in history...... and that is much more worthy of discussion then what would happen if they bolted 9000 hp in the engine compartment. Remember, I'm an outboard guy....and I respect how fast one can travel..... with how little...... rather than how much...... power.

T2x

BLee 02-10-2004 08:25 AM

Originally posted by T2x
....and I respect how fast one can travel..... with how little...... rather than how much...... power.

T2x

I agree.

Reckless32 02-10-2004 08:28 AM

There is a mountain; There is a man; Man climbs mountain; Why?; Because it's there....:cool:

Isn't that how the world was developed? Man's curiosity and sense of adventure?...