Notices

Fountain Does 156.9 MPH

Old 02-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would drive it, but I wouldn't ride in it with somebody else driving. If it can move faster than I can walk I rather be behind the wheel.

Not to get off topic but when I was racing motorcycles at Daytona, and when your coming off Nascar turn 4 there is a dip in the track, at 180 mph on a Formula USA bike the front tire isn't really on the ground so you can't steer well and drift up right to the wall lap after lap. And let me tell you hitting concrete is harder than water.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
I would drive it, but I wouldn't ride in it with somebody else driving. If it can move faster than I can walk I rather be behind the wheel.

Not to get off topic but when I was racing motorcycles at Daytona, and when your coming off Nascar turn 4 there is a dip in the track, at 180 mph on a Formula USA bike the front tire isn't really on the ground so you can't steer well and drift up right to the wall lap after lap. And let me tell you hitting concrete is harder than water.
I don't give a rats azz who's driving the boat, I wouldn't be in it! Think about it, when engines are built to the max like these are, the likelihood to some type of failure is VERY high (anywhere in the driveline). At those speeds vees are not very stable and any type of mechanical failure is likely to upset the boat enough to end your life before you knew what happened to you. It's not if... it's when! It's shear stupidity if you ask me.

And BTW, I wouldn't say hitting concrete at those speeds is any worse than hitting water. At least with concrete you'll slide, not so with water!

Last edited by SS930; 02-07-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Registered

Thats the difference between a racer and a watcher. I am not saying my way is smart or can't kill me but it's the way I am.

I would jump right in that boat and try before I jumped out of a airplane to skydive. I havn't done either but trust my ability to drive anything at speed more than a big piece of nylon to keep me from being worm dirt.

I have crashed a bunch on motorcycles, I don't think you will be able to find me a boat racer that will say they rather hit the wall at Daytona on a bike than crash a full canopy race boat.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Didn't Bob Russell's boat do
155 one way when it set the record ?

How much will canopies give the OL ?

Impressive......Who's ever side your on
Old 02-07-2004, 03:05 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

The motors used in the OL that ran 149 were 1450hp Sterlings. The ones Reggie used today to run 156 were Sterling's 1350hp units. Regardless, both of these ae very fast speeds. Congrats to both companies!
Old 02-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that is smokin!!! especially in a V. Just would like to say run safe guys and you got some HUGE BALLS
Old 02-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Registered

reggie does it in 40 degree colder weather to that had to help lets see him do this summer
Old 02-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob's boat has seen over 160 on a few occasions..... there is more to go!!
Old 02-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Registered

If thats true D-hlaw then the new boat Mike built for the record is going to be insane!!
Old 02-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Re: Fountain Does 156.9 MPH

Originally posted by craig223

Congrats. Why does everybody have to say something negative about it? I say good for Fountain and good for Outerlimits if/when they break it.
Its Called compitition and that is why we are driving what we have today not trihulls...we are all better off because of it! (Racein's rubbin some times the wrong way)

Quick Reply: Fountain Does 156.9 MPH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.