Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New "history of" thread... Surface Drives (Someone dust off T2x and trot him out!) >

New "history of" thread... Surface Drives (Someone dust off T2x and trot him out!)

Notices

New "history of" thread... Surface Drives (Someone dust off T2x and trot him out!)

Old 02-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Just a note. Lucas Oil also ran APBA Super V with that setup this past season. Here they are in Marathon between us and the other Gladiator, H&H Speed & Marine.
Attached Thumbnails New "history of" thread... Surface Drives (Someone dust off T2x and trot him out!)-3.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 02-09-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about the ill fated Mercury Black Hawk drive? I like em, ***** to dock but lots of free speed over a bravo. And rooster tail....Ohhhh Yaaaa. Click link in signature to see.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I raced the 46 Skater Jaws for years with BPM drives with the rudder on torque tube.The boat was very fast but diden't turn good.AS you can see in Ron P.post we changed to SAGE#8 drives. The boat is even faster then before and turns like it has #6 drives but will take the 1500hp.You will have to run a internal drop box on engine. SCS has a quick change drop box that you can change gears in minutes.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm impressed with the tandem set up on the Lucas oil boat... neat stuff... radical departure...
Old 02-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always considered Speedmaster drives "surface drives" or any other drive where the propeller pierces the surface... Do you guys draw the line on whether it has a gimbal housing?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Registered

Originally posted by DWES
AS you can see in Ron P.post we changed to SAGE#8 drives. The boat is even faster then before and turns like it has #6 drives but will take the 1500hp.You will have to run a internal drop box on engine. SCS has a quick change drop box that you can change gears in minutes.
Cool, but how useful is it to have a drive that moves in 6 directions (if I understood RonP correctly)? Sounds like alot of additional weight.

Surface drive gurus: Do you suffer a weight penalty from having to run the tranny or dropbox compared to the Bravos. Are they about the same weight as SSM's?
Old 02-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by KaamaScarab30
Cool, but how useful is it to have a drive that moves in 6 directions (if I understood RonP correctly)? Sounds like alot of additional weight.

Think of an outboard with a jack plate-up/down, tilt up/tilt down, right/left. Being able to change the height of the drive is huge. You can lower it for holeshot and then raise it at speed. You have an infinitely adjustable "X"dimension. The Sage is a VERY cool setup, too bad there aren't more out there.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hickman seasled

Here's a few pics of a Hickman seasled from the 1920's . . . I downloaded this pics off a site a long time ago . . . can't remember where I found it.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:52 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Funny.... I never saw this thread back in 2004.... That was probably when I was on my yearly diving vacation in the Carribbean.....

Actually the first true powered surface drive was the paddle wheel, but what do I know?

T2x