Boating in a lightning storm >

Boating in a lightning storm

Notices

Boating in a lightning storm

Old 02-11-2004, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Boating in a lightning storm

First off I know you should try to avoid it, but if you have the misfortune of getting caught on a lightning storm what is the best way to protect yourself? When it is pouring down rain and visibility is just a few feet do you risk running a stern light? A few years ago I was on Lake Conroe and this very thing happened to me. Visibility was so bad that I was afraid of being hit by another boat but didn’t want to put up a stern light for fear of being struck by lightning. This storm came up fast, which anyone in Texas knows this happens. What should I have done to make my boat as safe as possible?

Roby
Old 02-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Kent Perroux

Pray.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lightning

grab your ankles... and kiss your ass goodbye
Old 02-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go No more than a fast idle speed, and by all means don't be caught holding the light bar. Yes, the light should be up and on for visibility, but I wouldn't want to be the one holding it and putting it in.

Then pray!
Old 02-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Registered

Man,,, comming back from the NYC poker run,, WE GOT SLAMMED by a wicked thunder and lightning storm out of no where,, luckily we were under the tappan zee bridge, visibility was Zero, and the lightning was crashing around us like nothing I have seen. We ended up tying off under the bridge and riding it out,,
Old 02-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Crispy fried chicken
Attached Images  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a water spout in front of The Prop Stop on the TickFaw river Royal Purple poker run 2003.This was close . It died when it went in to the woods.
Attached Thumbnails Boating in a lightning storm-tuesday-july-08-2003-image-2-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

If I knew that I was going to be caught, I'd radio my position to the coasties. I'd tell them what's about to happen and that I'm currently OK. I'd also tell them that I'm going to radio back in 45 minutes again to them that I'm still OK. If they don't receive my second call, they should assume the worst. I'd then put the VHF antenna down and I'd check the bilge pumps to make sure they are working. After that it's high idle pointed into the wind.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Registered

Lets see: With the stern light up, it's the highest object, so it will get hit. With it down, you're the highest object.
Gary
Old 02-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take off your shirt and WOT! I bet that would feel good.

I got stuck one time in a BAD storm, Texas weather

I was at one of the local places, carlos and charlies, and a friend called and asked what we were doing. when i told him, he said it was nasty on the weather channel and we decided to bolt. as i pulled out, the storm hit us. everybody but the captain goes underneath. Im getting pounded in the chest by rain, and i see them underneath drinking cocktails and listening to music. It was a long and not fun drive back. By the time I got to the trailer, it died down where i could get it on ok.

Quick Reply: Boating in a lightning storm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.