Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT-Burning Music to CD's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71551-ot-burning-music-cds.html)

BigMike 02-11-2004 04:07 PM

OT-Burning Music to CD's

Quick off topic question. Why do I have cd's that say they have a capacity of 700 megs but I can only burn 15 to 20 songs to one at around 4 megs each? The way I see it, I should still have around 600 megs of free space. I am also curious about some of the portable cd players I see that advertise that you can play up to 20 hours of music on a single cd. What format are those songs in? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mike

clearcut3 02-11-2004 04:21 PM

One thing is that the CD's are usually restricted to 80 minutes. If you have 20 songs at 4 minutes each you are full of capacity. Now if you were burning a data CD you could use the full 700MB.

As for the other music format. Most of those are using .MP3 format, unlike the typical .wav formats you burn for audio CD's. If you put an MP3 in your car you could probably put 110-120 MP3's on a disk.

jaybird 02-11-2004 04:32 PM

Your burning program is probably converting the MP-3's to WAV audio files so you can listen to it as a standard CD. Those 15-20 hour players play music in MP-3 format, so you would burn a data CD of the MP-3 files you wanted, instead of a music CD.

ChrisK 02-11-2004 04:36 PM

Originally posted by clearcut3
One thing is that the CD's are usually restricted to 80 minutes. If you have 20 songs at 4 minutes each you are full of capacity. Now if you were burning a data CD you could use the full 700MB.

As for the other music format. Most of those are using .MP3 format, unlike the typical .wav formats you burn for audio CD's. If you put an MP3 in your car you could probably put 110-120 MP3's on a disk.

Try 200... I have 209 songs on one disk! The problem with that is you can NOT remember what the heck is on the disk!

clearcut3 02-11-2004 06:23 PM

Originally posted by ChrisK
Try 200... I have 209 songs on one disk! The problem with that is you can NOT remember what the heck is on the disk!
Damn that is great. I have never actually burnt mp3's on a disk before since my disk changer in my truck won't play them. Looks like I may have to put one in the truck after all....200 songs on 1 disk...sounds good to me.

buck183 02-11-2004 06:41 PM

When burning CDs in MP3 put your songs under different files or catagories. I usually make a file for Rock, Dance, and so on to make it easier to find the songs when I need them. You can make almost as many different files as you want. I think I usually carry about 2-3 CDs on my boat now that have 600-700 songs on all of them combined.

Buck

Waterfoul 02-11-2004 07:06 PM

Most of your run of the mill car CD players won't play MP3 format discs.... and adding an MP3 player is kinda a pain in the azz.

robyw1 02-11-2004 07:10 PM

Originally posted by ChrisK
Hey Chris, Do you have these songs in a seperate folders or do you just have them in 1? My CD player won't read any tracks over 99 in 1 folder.

Roby

robyw1 02-11-2004 07:13 PM

Re: OT-Burning Music to CD's

Originally posted by BigMike
Quick off topic question. Why do I have cd's that say they have a capacity of 700 megs but I can only burn 15 to 20 songs to one at around 4 megs each? The way I see it, I should still have around 600 megs of free space. I am also curious about some of the portable cd players I see that advertise that you can play up to 20 hours of music on a single cd. What format are those songs in? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mike

A lot of this will have to do with the bitrate recorded. you can have a 4-minute song in 192 bitrate which is normal then have the same 4-minute song recorded in a 320 bitrate and it will take up almost twice the space.

Roby

Bulldog 02-11-2004 08:37 PM

Big Mike

My bet would be that jaybird is right. You are probably burning audio format CD's. In an audio CD (.WAV or .CDA format), a CD can hold 80 minutes of music.

128 K/S MP3's are about one tenth the size of a .WAV or .CDA file. They run about 1 Meg per minute of music, so an MP3 format disk can hold about 700 minutes of music, about 11 hours worth.

Bulldog