Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   So much back and forth about this Vee speed record.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71567-so-much-back-forth-about-vee-speed-record.html)

Shane 02-11-2004 06:53 PM

So much back and forth about this Vee speed record....

Today reminds me of a book I read in grammar school..."A Tale of Two Cities"...."It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

I am not sure what the purpose of all the heckle and bantering is. Two TOP manufacturers have just ran BLISTERING speeds in vee bottom boats. That is something we should ALL be psyched about. T2x certainly made EXTREMELY VALID points about safety and purpose with regard to both Vee and Cat. C_Spray made an excellent point along with BOOT. What would be REALLY impressive is who goes fastest with small power. But that is a topic for another thread. Below are some random thoughts of my own.

There has been much talk about one boat being bigger than the other. Or, one boat having more power...last I checked they were both shooting for FASTEST VEE BOTTOM. There were no stipulations about size or power/drive configurations, so the argument is a moot point and a waste of energy and server space. Each could haven chosen any size boat they wanted with any power/drive choice they thought would yield them the best results. Saying things like "if builder X had those motors or those drives..." is RIDICULOUS! They could have, they didn't. So be it!

The weather....who cares when they run it? No one made any rule that the run location needed to be salt or fresh water, or the air temperature and humidity had to be at certain pre-determined levels. Last I checked EVERY MANUFACTURER can make their record attempt at anytime of year, in salt or fresh water, in any type weather. Once again moot points taking up server space.

Folks, when you are going for an ALL OUT SPEED record for vees or cats, there are NO RULES about power or length limitations, weather conditions etc. Everyone can run anytime anywhere they choose. OL had no unfair advantage because of weather, salt water etc.. Fountain could have ran anywhere he wanted. Fountain was not at any disadvantage because he CHOSE to run a boat that was a few years older than the OL. Who cares what he has coming next? This is the here and now. He chose to run what he did and he had an impressive speed. PERIOD! And so did OL!

So, instead of attaching limitations and "after the fact" excuses, be pschyed! And remember, if tragedy strikes, each occupant clearly understood the risks they were taking when they got in the seat. Sure it SUCKS if someone is hurt or killed racing, attempting to set a record, or simply running hard. Those are the ASSUMED risks one takes in this sport. And if they were not willing to assume those risks they have no business getting in the boat knowing it will be run that hard in the first place.

In conclusion, don't argue...BE HAPPY! Be happy that these manufacturers are pushing the limits to build you a better product. Be happy that we live in a country where we are FREE and successful enough in our own rights to have performance boats in the first palce. Whether they go 60 or 160.

Shane 02-12-2004 04:50 AM

ttt

CAP071 02-12-2004 05:26 AM

So true! :eureka:

catlover 02-12-2004 10:17 AM

Finally, a voice of reason!!
Thank you.

kidrock 02-12-2004 10:58 AM

Well said sir...

jlsnyder26_Sonic 02-12-2004 11:21 AM

Very well said...:cool:

ThirdBird 02-12-2004 11:27 AM

Yup Shane, you nailed it! Nothing more needs to be said. I agree with you totally.:cool:

wannabe 02-12-2004 11:44 AM

Shane-

How eloquently stated.

Here are two manufacturers running essentially production style V hulls at speeds I never dreamed about 2 years ago.

Outerlimits-Mega buck boats, and obviously well worth it based on reputation and performance delivery. Mike Fiore's boats are simply stated "the modern Apache" to me: exclusive, fast, high quality, and expensive.( You Apache fans may want to crucify me, but until I see something new from Del Ray-keep it to yourself).

Fountain- Say what you may about Reggie, but he flat out just does it. The recent Powerboat mag. test of the 35 ft executioner that had a 103 mph top speed spoke highly about the hull and it's handling. The boat was priced at under 350k. Reggie was in the 42 at the throttles, I can tell you I would have been shakin in my booties at 160 mph.

The winner is YOU the consumer. The range of products is better than ever, and at different price points. Now we have V hulls that can run with most cats, and run big water too.

Wannabe

Shane 02-12-2004 06:32 PM

Thanks!:)

Shane 02-13-2004 08:14 AM

I hope both sides have settled down a bit and are looking forward to great weekend!:)