Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   My New Years gift to myself!- OUCH!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71585-my-new-years-gift-myself-ouch.html)

blown formula 02-11-2004 10:55 PM

My New Years gift to myself!- OUCH!!

1 Attachment(s)
I am now going to share with everyone what I did on the afternoon of New Years Eve. It's not pretty, but certainly proves one thing...... even after using one for 42 years ( a table saw) and never being bitten, just a moments inattention can be very serious. This is my right hand & I am right handed..... try fastening the buttons on some jeans or a shirt with no thumb!!

I am showing this not for sympathy but to caution everyone that works with power tools to always give full attention to the tool..... all I did was turn my head and it got me...... I was by myself & had to drive 48 miles to the hospital..... I am ever so grateful it was not worse. I didn't show it but it also got my forefinger also a little. I am healing fine now but still have no use of my thumb yet, that will come in a month or two more.
This sure slowes down boat rebuilding on my Sonic!!

Please use caution.......:eek:

WesSmith 02-12-2004 04:19 AM

Whoa !!!

Now THAT sucks ! :eek:

Shane 02-12-2004 04:54 AM

OUCH! Feel better soon!:(

CAP071 02-12-2004 05:25 AM

My co -worker cut his three finger tips off a few years back with a power saw. OUCHHHHHHHH

open87 02-12-2004 06:18 AM

funny, a few weeks back some how i managed to sprain and twist my thumb on my dominant hand and you are correct , try to do the little everyday things without your thumb. it's not easy . good luck , that will take a long time to heal..........

OBNOXUS21 02-12-2004 07:09 AM

Ouch!!!

Hope you have a generous wife ;)

Indy 02-12-2004 07:19 AM

I made it through a building/remodeling career with all my limbs in tact. Skimmed my thumb over the table saw once but was nothing like what happened to you. It's easy to take these tools for granted if you use them so much, it's almost second nature, but that's what gets you. Believe it or not, the most dangerous tool on my crew was the common utility knife!!! I sent more people to the doctor for stitches from cuts/slices than any other tool!! Good luck...

Audiofn 02-12-2004 07:35 AM

Man that SUCKS. Glad you escaped with it still on there!!! I was working on some assembly stuff with my saw one day and running one pannel after another after another through the saw. I was getting tired but wanted to forge on. I was about 10 from the end when one of them kicked and LUCKILY for me the board slid under my hand as my hand went over the blade. The board was so thin when I picked it up that you could just push your fingure through it. I was shaking. Ever since then I go a little slower with the thing.

Jon

jb 02-12-2004 07:43 AM

ouch...hope it heals well

Outlawcowgirl 02-12-2004 07:46 AM

George! OUCH!
You be careful at that lake house working on those honey-do lists!
Feel better soon!