Notices

Jersey City School

Old 02-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jersey City School

A Jersey City student calls a Ohio BMW dealer, strikes a deal on a $122,000 760, fills out and sends back the paperwork, says that his bank will call to confirm the wire transfer and expects the car to ship asap. He calls a couple days later pretending to be from the bank to confirm the transfer. Dealer already shipped the car and now feels like everything is cool. Couple weeks later the dealer's bank calls to say that they never received the payment. By that time the kid already sold the car to a North Carolina dealer. Car and money are gone. Who said you don't learn anything in Jersey City public schools?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

SO HE PRETENDED TO BE FROM THE DEALERS BANK AND THEY BOUGHT IT?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Registered

I need to get more details, that was the mail I got this morning from a buddy in JC.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Registered

Teen in custody, $122,000 BMW missing

Jersey City youth accused of swindling Ohio dealer out of luxury car

Thursday, February 12, 2004

BY MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JERSEY JOURNAL

A Jersey City high school student is in custody after allegedly conning an Ohio car dealership into shipping him a $122,000 BMW and delivering it to him at Dickinson High School, officials said yesterday.

"I don't think we have ever had one like this. It's unique," Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gregory Tomczak said.

The boy, who was not identified, was 16 when he allegedly phoned Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin, Ohio, in early January to order the flashy, 12-cylinder BMW 760il, according to police reports.

He told the salesperson he would wire the money for the car, and would have his bank call the dealership to confirm the transaction once it went through, authorities said.

The dealership mailed the paperwork to the boy's home in Jersey City and he filled it out and sent it back, according to police reports. A few days later, the boy allegedly called the dealership pretending to be a bank official and "confirmed" the nonexistent transfer of $122,000, reports said.

The boy turned 17 on Jan. 13, and like a late birthday present, the shiny new sports car was delivered to his school two weeks later, reports said.

Apparently satisfied, the boy ordered a second BMW from the dealership that same day, reports said.

Also on Jan. 27, the Ohio dealership got a report from its own bank, informing it that the car payment never came through, officials said.

The dealership called the Dublin Police Department and reported the car stolen.

The boy drove the car for a couple of days, but, believing a second free car was on its way, decided to sell it. On Jan. 29, he went to the Best Price Motor Co. on Kennedy Boulevard in Jersey City, allegedly offering to sell the $122,000 car for about $75,000.

A representative of the dealership said he was interested, but could not make a deal with a minor.

The boy let him make copies of the car's Ohio title and his own Dickinson student ID card, saying he would return with his uncle, reports said.

After he left, the salesperson called the Ohio dealership and was informed the car was stolen, reports said.

The Jersey City Police Department's Auto Theft Unit got involved and after speaking to Dublin police, set up surveillance at the boy's home to try to spot the BMW, reports said.

After two days of seeing no sign of the vehicle, police said they knocked on the door of the boy's home and spoke to his mother and explained the situation. The mother cooperated with police, calling her son and asking him to come home; police arrested him when he arrived, reports said.

With the boy in custody, police learned they were no closer to recovering the BMW. The boy said he sold the car for $40,000 to a used car dealer in North Carolina, who drove up to Jersey City and drove back south in the car, reports said.

The Jersey City Police Department's Juvenile Bureau charged the boy with theft by deception. He remains in the county youth house in Secaucus.

Neither the $40,000 nor the BMW have been recovered.

Representatives of Midwestern Auto Group and Best Price Motor Co. each confirmed the alleged scam, but refused to comment on it.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He should have cut Mom in on the action.

Last edited by CigaretteFirefox; 02-15-2004 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I 've seen some dumb things go on when I was at a dealership
Old 02-15-2004, 11:11 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by CAP071
I 've seen some dumb things go on when I was at a dealership
I see Dumb things go on at dealerships every day!!!