Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show... >

Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Notices

Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Old 02-18-2004, 09:57 PM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES THE 39 WAS RUSHED TO BE AT THE SHOW AND THERE WERE SOME BLEMISHES AND SOME CHIPS BUT THAT IS ALL PART OF THE SHOW ALL BOATS GET SCRATCHED AND CHIPPED AT THE SHOWS AND GO BACK TO THE FACTORY AND COME OUT FLAWLESS DO I AGREE TO PUT A BOAT IN THE SHOW WITH IMPERFECTIONS NO BUT I DON'T BUILD BOATS ALL THE COMPANY'S HAD THERE FLAWS AS MANY HAVE MENTIONED BUT I CAN SAY 1 THING MIKE WILL MAKE IT PERFECT AND THE 39 WILL BE DELIVERED PERFECT AS ALWAYS.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Registered

I own a plain white 37 Outerlimits that is not wavy and does not have print through. The true test of a good performance boat is how it handles water at speed and how well the boat holds together with big power or how well it will run with just a set of 525s. If there is a piece of fly **** in the paint, that does not make it a bad boat. Custom paint work goes thru many stages of prep, mask, spray, clear, sand, buff, etc.

Those boats will be FLAWLESS before OL sets them free. Did you see Fountain bringing the boat that they claim is the fastest to the show? OL did and put it right in their booth.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Andy, so what you are saying is if you went to a Stereo convention selling your amps and speakers, and electronically they were perfect and you knew it, but they were slightly scratched and had minor flaws, would that be the way you want to represent your company.

It would be like my company going to a parade of homes, and only finishing 97%, I sure dont run my business that way, and if I did miss something, I know a potential customer would point it out, and believe me, I would never make that mistake again, I look at it as constructive critism, it is for me to decide how to handle it, and improve. No excuses.

Mike's boats are awesome, innovative, fast, and at the top of most people's list, he is a competitive person and likes to be #1, and has earned that reputation in many peoples eyes, has a loyal following, and yes when they come back out of the factory for the second time, it will have cost him alot more money. Its the customers perception is all Im getting at. Jeff
Old 02-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

On a completely different level, but not unlike these high-dollar perf boats, go to the annual NBAA Conference (National Business Aviation Association).

You won't see anyone with the money putting any time looking at, and definitely putting their money near an aircraft with flaws in any area, especially paint.

I'm with JJ here- if it isn't ready and isn't perfect, don't bring it. You have hundreds of thousands of critics coming by who aren't going to be too forgiving of a manufacurers product that isn't representative of its price. There just aren't any excuses, and that includes time or the lack of it.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Registered

pete was doing it,but he's in jersey now working.i just hung up with him.
there was alot of boats not done nortech 43 i think had no drives or motors. foutain 1075 where jus laid in and the exhaust hooked up. concept no sterring hooked up. i could go on,but i won't.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It seems as though many of these boats are displayed at several shows around the country. I know of one boat that was in the Chicago show that had terrible fit and finish, but appeared at the Miami show (still looking poor).

No manufacturer should make any excuses for their product they display at a show. Whether you see a boat in Miami or Grand Rapids, it should still represent your company to the public.

We all work under tight timelines, but the fact of the matter is that all show dates are set at least one year in advance. Why would you show sub-par hardware?
Old 02-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered

The Dragon hates gel coat that's why I don't use gel coat. There is a price to pay. But the finish is superior. cb
Old 02-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Registered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Too Old
[B]I don't care who it is. It's foolish to take less that your best work to the Miami Boat Show.

Thanks Too Old....
This was exactly my point. I'm positive that OL could put out a flawless boat. However, as a company would you not want to take your best work to one of the biggest shows in your industry ? I know about OL and their reputation but what about the people who don't ?Whoever walks into that booth, sees the prices (or asks about them), and sees the flaws will not think this is the caliber boat that it is... Maybe this can serve as constructive critisism and they will correct it for all other shows...

Look, Powerplay is in bankrupcy.. You'd have never known from looking at their 33 or 38 in the show....

Bottom line... Chips caused by transport... okay.. Obvious paint flaws... Not acceptable...
Old 02-19-2004, 10:42 AM
BK
Registered

From my experience with popular custom hulls, the molds are usually booked up for months, sometimes years. Not-so-popular hulls often give the builder ample time between builds to construct a perfect "show boat".

But for the boats that are "in demand", a builder will have customers breathing down his neck wanting to know when they'll get their boats. If he goes beyond their delivery date, then that pressure gets even worse.

If there is a "boat show" in the middle of all of this - the builder has to schedule a "boat show boat" in the line up somewhere. If the prior boat is delayed a week or two for some reason, then that also shoves the boat show hull back a couple of weeks.

But "Boat Shows" don't wait for manufacturers to get their boats done, so that means some serious "crunch time" for the builder --- mfg's have two choices:
1. Put a boat in the show that isn't top quality :: OR ::
2. Not go into the show at all.

For a show like Miami, Option 1 may steer a few buyers to other booths and you might lose some show sales, but option 2 will cost you ALL of your show sales.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Registered

Originally posted by BK

But "Boat Shows" don't wait for manufacturers to get their boats done, so that means some serious "crunch time" for the builder --- mfg's have two choices:
1. Put a boat in the show that isn't top quality :: OR ::
2. Not go into the show at all.

For a show like Miami, Option 1 may steer a few buyers to other booths and you might lose some show sales, but option 2 will cost you ALL of your show sales.
BK,
You raise a valid point. I'm just surprised how some manufacturers can do it and some can't. By some of the comments I see on this thread some manufacturers are notorious for this while others such as Cig seem to hit it on the mark every time. But again, I think you may have explained it in part.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.