Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71962-disappointed-quality-some-boats-show.html)

Boomer 880 02-19-2004 11:35 AM

Unfortunately, I also think some of the low quality we are seeing is in part due to a slow economy. There are many manufacturers that build a handful of boats each year, and these guys (I believe) are really hurting these days and are cutting corners on quality. Also, many have had to reduce staffing, due to the slow times.

I have heard of several name brand builders that are very close to going under for good.

One has to look beyond the exterior paint to assess whether or not quality is dropping off. I always look at the engine area to see if it was sanded and painted well.

outer42 02-19-2004 01:24 PM

you guys are brutal, that boat was done in two months, if you looked at the other boats there no one was perfect,but atleast when it leaves the factory it will be and the owner won't have issue like foutain or others.
the quility was so bad they sold 7 boats at the show!!!!!

outer42 02-19-2004 02:36 PM

one boat manafactuar been doing a big cat for over a year and showed up with no drives or motors!!!!!!!

Back4More 02-19-2004 03:35 PM

I find it hard to beleive that any OL is not perfect....

chromecat 02-19-2004 04:55 PM

i too was suprised to see 300,000+ boats with bad masking marks around the drives and boxes..

fountain1fan 02-19-2004 05:20 PM

fountain must not have been to bad outer 42 . they sold 13.3 millon worth of there boats at show:D

Ed 02-19-2004 06:20 PM

Like Jafo & Too Old, Etc..

Have previously stated...Any product you bring to as large a viewing market as the "Miami International Boat Show", should be an example of your very BEST! Powerplay's 38' outboard was a JOKE! A sterndrive deck boat with an empty bilge, but with outboards! Now there's a good use of cockpit space. And NO PAINT! I'd hate to be a salesman in that booth trying to sell against everything else at the show. Powerplay worked as a great selling tool for Cigarette. Talk about embarassing! :o Ed

animalhouse 02-19-2004 07:02 PM

Originally posted by BK

But "Boat Shows" don't wait for manufacturers to get their boats done, so that means some serious "crunch time" for the builder --- mfg's have two choices:
1. Put a boat in the show that isn't top quality :: OR ::
2. Not go into the show at all.

For a show like Miami, Option 1 may steer a few buyers to other booths and you might lose some show sales, but option 2 will cost you ALL of your show sales.

This is an exceptional point. The OL is sold out for the next 18 months to 2 years. The 39 is also a new boat, new hull. The boat show was not going to wait for OL to get this boat built from scratch, and oh by the way keep up with an 18 hour a day build schedule to keep their othe 23 boats that they are building on schedule, and somewhere along the way find the time to get the boat to run 100+ on 525's.

If you guys want to pick OL apart for these minor paint flaws, feel free to laugh at them when they go by you! OL's are for serious buyers only, not tire kickers or window shoppers. Anybody who is serious enough to buy one of these machines, or should I say Lucky enough to get the opportunity to buy one of these boats, knows that these guys from Rhode Island work their asses off to get these boats right. Go to the factory, meet Mike Fiore, you will see that the quality of these boats is well beyond what minor paint flaws you may have found under flourescant lighting at the show.

I am shocked how OL is being singled out, the boats could not have been that poor quality, because they seem to be demanding a serious ammount of attention from you guys!

open87 02-19-2004 07:31 PM

i can't afford a ol or any other big $$$$$$$$ boat. what i can tell you is that i paint cars for a living and all people see is the "finished product". ol are super $$$ and for that $$ they should not have flaws period or don't bring it to a show. and it goes for all builders. if it has flaws people with knowlage will voice their opinion.

US1 Fountain 02-19-2004 08:48 PM

Note to all builders, you now have 1 yr till the next Miami show. No excuses. :)