Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71962-disappointed-quality-some-boats-show.html)

open87 02-19-2004 09:33 PM

Originally posted by US1 Fountain
Note to all builders, you now have 1 yr till the next Miami show. No excuses. :)
they had a year to get them together for this show. too old, that's a good 1 bring piccaso from the dead . rotflmao!!!:D :D :D

32storm 02-20-2004 06:16 AM

Originally posted by US1 Fountain
Note to all builders, you now have 1 yr till the next Miami show. No excuses. :)
Hard to believe that given the time-frame, anyone would show up with anything less than their best work, unless it was a new product. Can't get too excited about Outerlimts and their paint issues. If I am writing the check for one, then I'll worry.

Nice to hear the positive feedback, ie: Hustler, Formula, etc, on the work of some of the manufacturers.

frequentflyer 02-20-2004 04:15 PM

Too Old.. .LMAO.. The Picasso comment was brilliant... You have a way with words...
Again.. This thread was not to pick on any one manufacturer but I guess several people noticed what I did.

GO4BROKE 02-20-2004 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Too Old

Why is It that OuterLimits guys are unable to accept any criticism of the boats? Even when it's the truth.

And please, no more excuses about new boats that were rushed. They were what they were. And they were the same last year.

That doesn't mean that OuterLimits isn't the finest performance boat on the planet. It just means I don't think much of the wrapper.

Nobody wants to hear their boat criticized. The OL guys paid the most and should have as close to perfect as humanly possible. Rushing for the show is just an excuse. I saw flaws in the $900K 50' OL @ Lauderdale last year. Thats not acceptable. Not that it would stop me from buying it if I found some change in my couch. I really want a 37 OL. And just for the record the SIMPLE paint on my Sonic sucks. But I still don't want anybody to tell me about it.

jafo 02-20-2004 05:47 PM

Good points Mike-
I've never seen or played a Steinway with a less than perfect finish.;) Always the best of the best, and they reflect it. (no pun intended)

Steet 02-22-2004 11:14 AM

OL

The only problem that I saw with the OL was the price tags. The 39' with stock power which claims a honest 100mph was over 400K. I know they are top notch boats, but I can buy a lot of bigger power for many, many years of high speed boating for the difference in price between them and other boats and still run faster. I believe the OL can run extremely fast with big power, but at what cost?. It is definitely not for the pocket book of very many buyers.

cigarette1 02-22-2004 12:07 PM

..... and Corvettes are as fast as Ferraris :eureka:

G

BK 02-22-2004 12:37 PM

Remember that most of the products mentioned here are mass produced, not custom ordered per client, like many high perf boats are.

The client list for high-perf boats is extremely small. The profits are small too, when you compare them to what corporations like Yamaha and Steinway make.

Will Steinway build you a piano that nobody else has? (without a huge addition to the normal price) Will they build one to your specific design; with orange and grey flames painted down the sides and with purple anodized "C" keys?

No. You buy them the way they produce them - because they've got certain materials in stock, bought in bulk. Even the class of pianos call their "designer" and "artcase" series are actually a standard production; though limited in number.

Another difference; in high perf boat building, there is usually only ONE mold per hull. And pressure for deadlines is absolutely huge, and most people don't realize that many companies are financially dependent on hitting those deadlines to pay the big debts incurred during production.

I've met a lot of builders, and they are busting their butts to make the most perfect boat they can for these shows as well as the magazine tests that come around a few times per year.

But if they run out of time - due to special parts being backordered or gel repair or a carpet mis-match or the upholstery person getting the flu or the contracted painter putting them off a few weeks, etc, etc - they become trapped by the thousands of things that can go wrong that they have no control over.

I've never heard one of these builders ever say:

"We have decided to hire a rotten painter for our entry in this year's Miami Boat Show....probably nobody will notice."

:rolleyes:

Even charging high prices for it's product, Steinway pianos do occassionally have their own problems. They are not immune to flaws;

From a piano repair website:

http://www.ptg.org/pipermail/pianote...er/055568.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

List,

I was called to work on a relatively new Steinway B yesterday. The serial number on the piano is 540827. The customer's main complaint was that notes in the F5-F6 octave sounded wooden. The complaint was valid. Does anyone know at what serial number Steinway introduced the modified plate/scale in recent B models? I seem to recall that the modified plates have a B2 embossed on them. Is my recollection correct? If not, how can I tell what version of scale I'm dealing with?

Has anyone had any luck with a fix for this problem other than adjusting the hammer line in the offending area? I tried a little voicing, both up and down, swapping hammers from different sections, a totally different trial hammer, checked regulation carefully, checked the keybed, etc., etc. The problem really is the scale. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jafo 02-22-2004 01:24 PM

BK-
Obviously you've had a great deal of experience with fine instruments like Steinway to include Yamaha in with the likes.........:rolleyes:
I cant' quite understand your agenda on defending ANY mfg. bringing ANY product to a consumer show with flaws obvious enough to start a discussion. People are careful with their money, and first impressions last quite a while with the careful spender.
Sorry, but I still do not believe in excuses.
BTW, a quality custom piano can be made any way you want it. There are a myriad of choices, and they all cost. Just like boats.;) I would never buy a new Steinway- I much prefer the older instruments, and in many cases they will cost considerably more than a new one.:)
Jim

jafo 02-22-2004 01:52 PM

Scott- Wish you had seen the paint on the 353 at the show- the 'production' boat had it goin' on. Kudos to Formula for knowing that this is a big show, and there products were exemplary. I'd take a new 370 or 400SS (or any of their boats for that matter) in a heartbeat. :cool: :)