Notices

bunks on boat trailers

Old 02-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be right about that Chart.... sometimes why things are made a certain way doesn't make sense.. until you factor dollars in... today's manufacturers factor cost more than anything. If they can get away from putting in another row of bunks... they will do it. Boats on trailers spend more of their life laying on the bunks than they do in water... even here in California where it doesn't freeze. Only blowboaters in the marina.. or really large boats don't have a trailer.. then you have to deal with barnacles and underwater care. There are some offshore boats in Marina Del Rey that are on hydro hoists... and those are just floating trailers.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it is a holdover from long ago. My 88 Myco is designed the same way, except the strake bunks are 4x6 cypress boards on edge, and difficult to align the boat evenly on. That's why the bunks are now angled along the hull under the chines, I'm sure. But, the keel bunks are 2x4's 12 feet long. Maybe, back when all bunks were one solid board, 12' was the longest reasonable length, an needed to be further up on the hull than placing at transom would allow. And that placement is still used today. Either that, or it's a vast conspiracy started by space aliens in cahoots with the government of Atlantis for purposses we don't yet know. Elvis is somehow involved in it;.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Registered

Ahem.... I have it on good authority that Elvis is running a liquor store in Arkansas....
Old 02-17-2004, 07:39 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is a Myco with Drive guards good trailers will be supported passed the back off the boat this I imagine avoids developing a hook in your bottom that can rob of a lot of speed.

Funny thing is i have yet to see a rack storage place that has supports that goes all the way passed the rear bulkhead, most of them are way short submitting the hulls to the same stress.
Attached Thumbnails bunks on boat trailers-2000tiger9a.jpg  

Last edited by GLH; 02-17-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that if there were 6 bunks, they would have to be all dead nuts on location and height in order to prevent any uneven weight supporting distribution.
It is easier to mount 2 outer bunks in location than it is to mount 1 outer bunk and 1 keel bunk. Plus any twisting of the trailer while towing will be less likely applied to the hull. Also, the notched bottom sounds really legite.

Maybe 'Boatme' can chime in since he works for Manning Trailers.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure if this has been said yet but is it possible that the boat that was sitting on that trailer had a Notched transom? Kind of like a Superboat Tempest.

Jon
Old 02-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Audiofn
I am not sure if this has been said yet but is it possible that the boat that was sitting on that trailer had a Notched transom? Kind of like a Superboat Tempest.

Jon
See post 17
Old 02-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Registered

US1: You also might be on to something. Hull distortion near the transom from too high a keel bunk might cause worse handling than no keel support at all. Too high a keel bunk could reduce the deadrise, and even cause the chines to distort in extreme cases.

GLH: That's some gaudy looking barge you pictured there. (Can I have a ride?!! Pretty please?!! Huh, huh?! ) Very interesting point you brought up about rack storage bunks. Most of the ones I've seen were designed for shorter boats than they actually store.

Reed: Go easy on AudioFN, he's been breathing too much fiberglass dust lately, and it's affecting his judgment. He was actually talking about adding a mast to his boat....
Old 02-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Troutly
I have 16 bunks supporting my 382 on a Prestige trailer.

Just when we figured this out, here comes Trooper Trout messing with our little world.

Okay, Troutly, we just determined that keel bunks at the transom cause your boat to be worthless. You'd be best off dumping your now distorted boat for any price you could get. (GET BACK BOYS, I'S HERE FIRST) PM me, and I'll help you out of this mess before Mrs. Trout figures out what a mistake you made.

Hey, anyone want to ride in my new 382?

Actually Troutly, thanks for posting that picture. Do the middle bunks at the transom line up with any stingers or supports in the engine compartment?

Last edited by Chart; 02-17-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Registered

Did you notice the notched transom on Trouty's boat?

Quick Reply: bunks on boat trailers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.