Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Twin Step bunks.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/72064-twin-step-bunks.html)

mr_velocity 02-18-2004 12:13 PM

Originally posted by cigracer38
Do not leave it like that bro. It is very stressfull on the steps. Sitting on a lift or trailer not properly fitted will eventually damage your new boat. Just have your lift reconfigured. Shouldn't be a big deal.
Measure from the transom forward to the first step, subtract 6". Then measure from the transom to the second step, subtract 6". Just go to home depot and have them rip 5/4" #1 pine down to 3" wide and cut to the lengths above. You need 2 each. It's real easy to do and can be done for under $20.

Tim G. 02-18-2004 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I felt my ears burning so I logged on...

Wood in particular will really put a lot of weight on the step edge... bad news.
You do need to fix this.

For example:
We just did a Floatlift for the OSO Gladiator. The lift has aluminum/rubber bunks that have some flex. They won't put as much weight on the step edge as straight lumber. We are in the process of building wedges for the boat that put some of the weight from the void back on the bunk/hull to take weight off of the step edge.
Pic is shown to illustrate why we want to fill the gap.

Now-
First- Step boats are a PITA in the lift business. Fit/operation will never be perfect.
The operator MUST remember to have the lift in it's lowest position before backing off the rack, or the step mods will catch on the back side of the bunk and likely gouge or upset the gel on the back of the step.
This is the operator's responsibility.

As far as loading goes... yes this is tough with step boats.
Take a specific reference when the boat is properly positioned. You must stop there before really raising the lift, or again, you can chip a step.
Generally, a guide on will line up with a part of your boat to give you a ref, or take a piece of tape and stick it to the boat where it lines up with a fixed point... get it?? Let me know if you need more clarification.

With regard to your particular lift....
Myco makes a wonderful cradle for the old school cable lifts. Pricy but good. But then again you spent a load on that boat anyway...
If you don't want to go Myco.. I can help you out with aluminum bunks and wedges, just like the OSO boat. Or get you in touch with someone locally to cut and chop your wood....

Don't hesitate to give me a call.
Tim G.
Sunstream Boat Lifts
954-647-5131
Ft.Laud.

Tim G. 02-18-2004 12:56 PM

Sounds like Mr. V has the easiest solution for your existing wood...

dhlaw 02-18-2004 01:12 PM

Point loading those steps is a big no no...... Bill at Myco set me straight. I am going to put a MYCO cradle under my boat this spring, until then it stays on the trailer..

spitfire1 02-18-2004 02:29 PM

Originally posted by mr_velocity
Measure from the transom forward to the first step, subtract 6". Then measure from the transom to the second step, subtract 6". Just go to home depot and have them rip 5/4" #1 pine down to 3" wide and cut to the lengths above. You need 2 each. It's real easy to do and can be done for under $20.
Mr V...can you PM me your phone number...would like to ask you a question about this.....thanx...Rich

Dean Ferry 12-06-2004 01:29 PM

Re: Twin Step bunks....

Tim G,
Do you know if anyone builds just the cradle with bunks for Stepped Hulls? I'm going to have to scrap my whole existing cradle and start from scratch.
Thanks,
Dean

Strip Poker 388 12-06-2004 04:46 PM

I have a hightide cradle lift for my 388 Hustler.I just added a treated 4x4 the the 4x thats allready on the lift and cut it to match the bottom of the boat . Like mr_velocity said start by mesuring from the transom.
I have some pictures at the house if want?

Rob

Tim G. 12-06-2004 05:06 PM

Dean,
Myco makes a very nice cradle for piling type boat lifts...
And, they're over in Bradenton...so you could pick it up yourself...

I have seen some skilled craftsmen make up wooden bunks as previously stated. However I have seen plenty of people that thought they could do it themselves as well... :rolleyes:

The Myco cradle will be the right length for the boat.
Have you seen these long 38+' boats on cradles that have bunks that are only 12-15' long??? that's friggin nuts. Look at the supportt on a good boat trailer. That's the support that should be on a lift.
TIM

OffshoreOnly 12-06-2004 06:38 PM

See the OSO News Section for information on the Myco Cradle with pictures. Frind has one, very nice piece.

pm203 12-06-2004 10:53 PM

What about rack stored boats,do they have the same lack of support?