Default Re: Twin Step bunks....

Spitfire1
Thx,
MD
Old 12-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dean...these pics really don't show you much....but you can see that basically I did exactly what Mr. V suggested...the angle is not exactly right as it doesn't fit exactly flush...... I may redo that in the future...but for now it is serving its purpose just fine....Keeping the weight off the steps.....And after reading Mr V's initial post...I have gone out and spread the bunks out a couple of inches...so maybe that will do the trick...
Attached Thumbnails Twin Step bunks....-dsc00661.jpg   Twin Step bunks....-dsc00662.jpg  

Last edited by Spitfire1; 12-09-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:12 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you need a stepped lift for a rigid inflatable?
Old 12-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Spitfire1,
Thanks for the photos, that's kinda what I'm thinking of doing to my lift also. Where's the Cig?
Thanks again,
Dean
Old 12-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Registered

At Cigarette having some warranty work done...Good luck with it...Rich
Old 12-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Spitfire1
Dean...these pics really don't show you much....but you can see that basically I did exactly what Mr. V suggested...the angle is not exactly right as it doesn't fit exactly flush...... I may redo that in the future...but for now it is serving its purpose just fine....Keeping the weight off the steps.....And after reading Mr V's initial post...I have gone out and spread the bunks out a couple of inches...so maybe that will do the trick...
I don't know the bottom of the cig that well. I always had the bunks cut square to they would be under the lifting strakes. In some boats like Sonics is meant blocking the bunks where they sat on the beam so the bottom of the V would clear, this is a different issue. If the lifting strakes run all the way to the transom put the lumber on square and get them under the strakes. You may need to play with the lumber a little to get the correct support. For example a 42 OL quad step needed 5/4 and 1 1/2" material since it was a big step followed by a small step. At the transom I had built up almost 6" above the bunk. Just make sure you support the boat all the way to the transom.
From the pictures you have the right idea, I just like to support under the strakes. Someone asked how they are attached, being flat you don't need a strong fastener since all the force is down. I used 3/8 Stainless lags that were counter sunk into the top.

Here's a pic of one I put together a few years ago for an OL. Now just lag it to the top of the existing bunk. Notice from the bow the first step is huge, then a tiny step than another large step followed by another small step.
Attached Thumbnails Twin Step bunks....-pc110015.jpg  

Last edited by mr_velocity; 12-11-2004 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I don't know the bottom of the cig that well. I always had the bunks cut square to they would be under the lifting strakes. In some boats like Sonics is meant blocking the bunks where they sat on the beam so the bottom of the V would clear, this is a different issue. If the lifting strakes run all the way to the transom put the lumber on square and get them under the strakes. You may need to play with the lumber a little to get the correct support. For example a 42 OL quad step needed 5/4 and 1 1/2" material since it was a big step followed by a small step. At the transom I had built up almost 6" above the bunk. Just make sure you support the boat all the way to the transom.
From the pictures you have the right idea, I just like to support under the strakes. Someone asked how they are attached, being flat you don't need a strong fastener since all the force is down. I used 3/8 Stainless lags that were counter sunk into the top.

Here's a pic of one I put together a few years ago for an OL. Now just lag it to the top of the existing bunk. Notice from the bow the first step is huge, then a tiny step than another large step followed by another small step.
Thats close to what mine looks like on My 388 Hustler.I added the top board and cut it to match the steps in the hull. also used the stainless lags and the stainless staples on the carpet. Remember the more wood you put on it the more it wants to float with out the boat on it.

I have also added some 2x12 x24ft long boards on the side I beams for walking on and for washing the boat. Made it very convenient

Here are some picks. Maybe you can see the steps?
Attached Thumbnails Twin Step bunks....-hustler-double-parked.jpg   Twin Step bunks....-hustler-slip-1.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 12-11-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are the picks with out the boat . You can see the bunks and the side planks,They are treated . I rip a 2x2 and screwd it to the bottom of the plank to give it suport whin I walked on it. I had to add weight 2 pvc pipes with concreat in them 75lbs each to get it to sink.When I did the lift I made it where the boat tilted to the rear so if it got or had water in the bildge it would run to the back . Really it just looks better with the nose up higher than the rear. Like I hate seeing people pulling there boats on a trailer with the nose of the boat down

Since these picks the area in the back corners of the slip is dead space because the slip is 14 ft wide , So I cornered up the corner over the water and made a box and put a frige and microvave in it. Full of BEER and popcorn . I'll never run out

On the Myco boat lift cradels they make I heard there about 2500.00. Does any body know $$ ?

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Twin Step bunks....-tickfaw-5-2004-002.jpg   Twin Step bunks....-tickfaw-5-2004-004.jpg   Twin Step bunks....-tickfaw-5-2004-006.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Twin Step bunks....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.