Notices

Konrad 540 HP drive. A better idea!!!

Old 04-29-2004, 07:33 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Magnesium is for fresh water.
But I would not worry about that if you trailer it's mostly for people that leave there boats in all the time, one WE with zincs is not going to harm anything.

I leave zincs on all the time my boat is rarely in for longer than 48 hours and I want the protections of zincs in case I put in salt for every second.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be AWARE---there is another more serious issue that zincs/magnesium SACRIFICIAL anodes will protect against--stray 12Vdc current and floating AC grounds that are more and more common in public marina's and facilities because people have added lots of creature grounded comforts and electronics to thier boats.

If your boat isn't absolutely protected by sacrificial anodes, Galvonic Isolators, and an absolutely perfect system BONDING system your drives, Gimble's, Bellhousings and more can be destroyed EVEN in a weekend. Your insurance proabably excludes damage from electrolysis--like my State Farm policy.

This kind of damage can "git" everything in/on your boat !!!

Apologies for ranting but I got this F$$KING this winter in less than 4 weeks !!!

Poorsche
www.boatmat.com

I speak
Old 05-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Registered

Most short term corrosion is from stray current as Poorsche has described. The anodes, if attached properly, will show accelerated corrosion first.

I would recommend to anyone that is taking a new slip to watch closely over the first week for immediate degradation. Transient docks are completely unpredictable.

Also, the continuity wires are there for a reason, make sure that they are maintained. Any non-continuous item has a greater potential for electrolysis as it is isolated.

Electrolysis is increased as the two metals decrease in similarity and as the the more stable metal increases in surface area. Konrad drives incorporate intermediate materials which protect the aluminum surfaces from the stainless.

Impressed current systems (cathode) are available and good for any vessel that visits foreign harbors. A variety of systems can be found on the net.

If you are in a "hot" freshwater harbor, a magnesium anode can be used. Magnesium anodes are available for Konrad drives. Magnesium is dissolved quickly in salt water and if used would get expensive. Most people choose as GLH to use zinc because occasional salt water is more corrosive than frequently running in fresh.

Has anyone been in a freshwater environment and used magnesium? How fast does a magnesium anode get dissolved under normal conditions?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Well I've been running my new Konrad 540's for close to three weeks now and I am extremely pleased with their product.

My old Top Gun is like a totally different boat. Now I just hammer on it like an ANVIL and not even think about drive failure. These things rock! If you are thinking about upgrading your drives, IMHO these are the way to go

...excuse me while I flog the 'ol Top Gun some more

Kurt

Last edited by Biggus; 05-05-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Registered

Great Report--on a well done product. I talked to Fred at the Miami Boat Show and got great gut-feel about them. It's nice when something in the boat "bidness" exceeds expectations.

Hope my envy doesn't show--

Poorsche
www.boatmat.com
Old 05-05-2004, 05:18 PM
JGB
Registered

Congrats Biggus, sounds like some awesome equipment.

Jim
Old 05-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious how they would work on a bravo boat. I hear that the CG is already a little out of wack and putting extension boxes make it worse.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine came in today. Rarely in this world are my expectations exceeded. It happened today. They are huge compared to a TRS. The quality is very impressive. I have installed one transom assembly so far. I went with the nose cones welded on and blended in with aluminum- no bondo, and left bare. They look Great. I will post pictures when I have them on. Thanks Fred.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

They are on now
Attached Thumbnails Konrad 540 HP drive. A better idea!!!-mvc-053f.jpg  
Old 05-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Side View
Attached Thumbnails Konrad 540 HP drive. A better idea!!!-mvc-056f.jpg  

Quick Reply: Konrad 540 HP drive. A better idea!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.