Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   CAUTION OSOers! I got screwed bad! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/72231-caution-osoers-i-got-screwed-bad.html)

BK 02-20-2004 10:26 AM

I worked at a bank for 11 years, and the policy was that we were to accept checks from "good customers", even if the bank it was drawn on was unknown, and the funds were unknown. Many times the funds are available that day only, but the account is emptied before the check clears that bank, or a stop payment is issued shortly afterward. There's just no way to promise a check will clear until it does.

A teller may be able to tell a check is bad if she calls the branch of that bank where the check was issued. But you can imagine what would happen if someone had 10 checks or more -- and the teller made the customers wait while she called each one individually. It would take hours just to wait on 1 or 2 customers.

What they normally do when a check looks fishy, is to put a 10 working day hold on the check, meaning the customer can't use the money until it has cleared the other bank.

But long-time customers absolutely come unglued when they hear they have to wait 10 days for a check to clear - they usually scream "I'VE BEEN BANKING HERE FOR 10 YEARS! I'LL CLOSE MY ACCOUNT.! I WANT TO TALK TO THE PRESIDENT!..yada yada yada..."

So that's why nearly all banks let their "good" customers have some leeway when it comes to cashing unknown checks for them.

We had a San Francisco 49er football player bring a check to us to cash for him - - a personal check made out to someone else. We tried to put a hold on it, since this guy admitted he didn't know the other person.

The lobby erupted into the loudest yelling you ever heard. HUGE explosion from this guy screaming and throwing a fit. Because he had several accounts with us, we finally let him cash the check......and of course, the $500 check was no good and we then debited his account for the loss :(

Any time you get a check from someone else --- even cashier's checks -- BE CAREFUL !!! Go to the bank it was drawn on and let THEM cash it. Then it can't come back to you.

If that is impossible, at least call the bank yourself and tell them you want to verify the check is good, including any stop payments. You sometimes can even ask for the "Average balance".

Whiteknuckle 02-20-2004 10:36 AM

Tim G

You didn't get to keep the $1,300.00 did you?:confused:

hp500efi 02-20-2004 10:37 AM

The bank better be in the business of verifying checks and amounts, afterall that is what they do. They check for counterfiet money, large deposits etc..

I would press the bank big time. Too bad they gave you cash because they have no recourse over the 3200 except to hang you or themselves.

How did the guy in NY get the $$ (it was cash right) or did you fire him a check as well.

Not a good story to read about. I guess the red flag should of went off when he said he was not in the USA.

RJ1340 02-20-2004 10:37 AM

Tim G.

No offense, but the mistake is all yours and for the number one reason these scams work: GREED. You thought you were going to get an extra $500 for your $800 props so you couldn't wait to send that Limey bastard his $3200. Did you miss the memo that said there are boats and props in England, too (its an island, you know)?
I'm sorry you lost the money, but you're a big boy and you should know better. If something (anything) sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
Would anyone out there really think that someone sent them $4500 instead $800 by accident?

MadMat 02-20-2004 10:48 AM

This sh!t p!sses me off.
I'm in 'the uk' and I've got a formula 292 sr1, one of only 2 that I know of in the country. The only way I can keep this baby running is buying stuff from you guys and ar5ewipes like that mean you guys won't sell to me.

Do you have an address or any contact details for him?
I'm away next week, but anything I can do to help, please let me know. FWIW I live about 40 miles south west of London.

Kind Regards
Matt

Tim G. 02-20-2004 10:53 AM

OK Last thing.

The guy email's me and says his client can't buy the props as his family was in a car accident and he needs the $$ for healthcare.

Being pissed off, I told him... No problem. Where do you want me to send it?
Then I call the Secret Service and tell him the story, and that they have an opportunity yo nab someone involved.

They never called me back. Flippin' government employees... I gues he'd have to put down a donut and do something.

So I'm thinking about westrern unioning him a note that says something very kind and appreciative...

BK 02-20-2004 10:55 AM

The culprit was probably never even in the UK. They use "UK" so you'll be apt to trust them. Most likely he's operating out of Nigeria. This is a well known scam from a well known crime ring.

One tip-off that this is a scam, is that the buyer almost never uses the telephone to communicate. It's always via email. In the odd chance he does happen to call, he often uses a tele-translator to communicate, which is a huge tip off.

MadMat 02-20-2004 11:06 AM

I've read of real people, especially pensioners and the like who are not as computer savvy getting scammed the same way in the UK. But, in the very small chance this is a real person in my country, do you have any contact details?

Steve_H 02-20-2004 11:06 AM

what a shame you cant "reach out and touch " this POS:hothead:

RollWithIt 02-20-2004 11:11 AM

****, sorry to hear about this problem. It would be kinda nice to send him a mailbomb instead of money. Wouldnt that be a nice surprise.:D Tim, I am not 100% sure on this but you might have a better chance for legal action if you contact the FBI. Secret Service handles counterfeit money. But for a counterfeit bank note and bank scam, I do believe that falls under the jurisdiction of the FBI.