Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
US Investigating Japan for dumping boat engines on US >

US Investigating Japan for dumping boat engines on US

Notices

US Investigating Japan for dumping boat engines on US

Old 02-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Slamin

I have very close ties to a company that supplies Merc with parts. Based on Merc's decision to have future 60 hp and up motors built in Japan we are losing a big chunk of business. They are doing the same thing that the N.A. auto companies and their tier one suppliers are doing. That is say they are forcing and I mean forcing many to go to the Asian Pacific rim for tooling and manufacturing. If what was said about Merc is true then I say SHAME on you Merc for talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ron P
Only because people are willing to pay it to them.
I agree. There a lot of good drives out there (Wiseman, Sage, Pulse) for a LOT less money.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Big US Corporations like Brunswick answer to only one group, the Shareholders!, everyone else is expendible including US jobs! As for the market share lost, could the fold up of OMC have had anything to do with that, da!. I do own a Yamaha on one of my boats and I tell you why, its the best damn outboard I have ever had!
Well see how Mercs new Vorado fares. Merc is just going to have to be satisfied with their 80% market share in inboard & sterndrive market. Poor guys!
Raylar
Old 02-24-2004, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Raylar
Merc is just going to have to be satisfied with their 80% market share in inboard & sterndrive market. Poor guys!
Raylar
I thought Volvo owned a larger portion of that market.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:00 AM
jb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
Yeah... why is it a #6 outdrive costs more than a new car?
Because the people who buy them have cars that cost more than the drive!!
Old 02-24-2004, 08:13 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by SS930
I thought Volvo owned a larger portion of that market.
Volvo has a slight edge among the independent boat builders. Brunswick (ie Mercury) owns quite a few boat companies that use Mercury products exclusively. Looks like buying those companies was a good move - otherwise their market share would be even lower.

Now that Bombardier (deep pockets) has taken over Johnson/Evinrude, things are getting REAL interesting in the outboard market...

Interesting point here. Honda actually moved a lot of its production TO the US while still maintaining it's reputation for quality. Maybe there's a lesson for other US companies there, like responsive management/active employee involvement/motivation....
Old 02-24-2004, 08:15 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
Yeah... why is it a #6 outdrive costs more than a new car?
And a Bravo/ITS system goes for.......?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all about the cost of labor tied with the managements big bonus upstairs that results in the high costs of US production. We are doing it to ourselves, we like America but continue to support other countries by purchasing their products. Buy American!!
Old 02-24-2004, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by C_Spray

Interesting point here. Honda actually moved a lot of its production TO the US while still maintaining it's reputation for quality. Maybe there's a lesson for other US companies there, like responsive management/active employee involvement/motivation....
Chuck,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason all of the Jap company's are now building in the US is because they can avoid the huge tariffs we placed on them to keep trade "balanced".
Old 02-24-2004, 09:02 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

I'm sure that was a large part of the "motivation". My point is that the quality did not suffer as a result. This seems to be as much or more about quality than it is about price.

Mercury used price as it's sword (accusing Yamaha of dumping), but it turned out that the industry (especially Genmar!) came back and said that the issue was quality - no such thing as a good deal on inferior goods.

Quick Reply: US Investigating Japan for dumping boat engines on US

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.