Notices

Diesel powered sport boats?

Old 05-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Diesel powered sport boats?

RIK, I have a Twin Disk/Arneson bronze case #6 that
was original equipment on my 26' wellcraft nova. It was built with a Velvet V Drive 72"C" trans and a Pleasure craft
260 or 280 HP 350SB. A high performance motor at the time.
I stripped every thing that would out move,down to a bare hull. Had the transom redone, sent the trans to Nopper Marine for a re-build, but not sure about that cause they wouldn't tell me what they did. Sent the #6 to Pacific Sea craft and he replaced pretty much every seal, bearing,and moving part.Bought a Marine HP Vortex 350 and have had some work done on heads/valves/cam. Should be real 350/375 HP.
BUT while working on this "PROJECT" I keep reading all sorts of interesting info on the DURAMAX . And even though you would have to pull some strings to get a current "LBZ" motor and then work with someone like "BANKS" to close cool,hook up exhaust,hook up electronics,etc,etc, I think it would be a great set up.The 6.5 Marine Diesel from Sweden
looks very interesting EXCEPT for the $20,000+ price for the 400hp motor. For sure with Fuel over $4 a lot more boaters will start looking at light weight,high performance,fuel efficent DIESEL MOTORS.
I have been told that a #6 could take a very large diameter prop if needed . Is that true??
CHEERS AW
Old 05-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Why don't you get a stronger outdrive and you can use the Duramax to its fullest potential?
They don't want to use an Arneson drive Rik... because they wouldn't have anything to cry about when their Bravo/breako derivitives fail!................... ......
Old 05-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 906 Likes on 491 Posts

Sunsation is offering Hammerhead diesels as a factory option. They have a 28, 32 and 43 foot boat range. Don't know if a diesel powered boat has hit the water yet for them.

www.sunsationboats.com
Old 12-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Sunsation is offering Hammerhead diesels as a factory option. They have a 28, 32 and 43 foot boat range. Don't know if a diesel powered boat has hit the water yet for them.

www.sunsationboats.com
Glad to see other diesel manufactures working with factories to get new products out.
I re-read through this entire thread and still find it interesting. Many view points or predictions that were stated in 04' from the diesel and drive experts on this thread came to froition.
Will there be any new developments in Feb. for the 07 Miami show. Thanks Jeff
Old 12-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Registered

Any hints what will happen in miami
Old 12-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 42MTI
There will be a Twin Turbo Duramax out very soon. It has alot of custom pieces, by GM. The first series will be 900 hp followed by 1200 and 1400. They are talking about a 3000 hr warranty on the 900 right now. It should really be interesting.They are also giving them a 5000 RPM limit.

Anything ever happen with these marinized Duramax diesels. Any links or info. Thanks Jeff
Old 01-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Registered

Yeah, just trying to keep this thread alive. What are some predictions for 2007 as far as viable diesel applications, both single and twin use,large and small (28-30') boats included?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jassman
Anything ever happen with these marinized Duramax diesels. Any links or info. Thanks Jeff
Typical for boats, VERY behind schedule. I know the first set of duramax's and 3 speed trannies went in months ago, but haven't heard how testing went. I'll be at the factory friday and try to remember to ask.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 42MTI
Typical for boats, VERY behind schedule. I know the first set of duramax's and 3 speed trannies went in months ago, but haven't heard how testing went. I'll be at the factory friday and try to remember to ask.
Keep me updated if you wouldnt mind, Thanks Jeff
Old 01-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Registered

I would like to know too...Diesels are great, hopefully the boats can catch up to the trucks and pass them just like they have on the gas side..

Quick Reply: Diesel powered sport boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.