Diesel powered sport boats?

Notices

Diesel powered sport boats?

Old 05-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
maybe but that sure is impressive.

plus it doesnt realkly mention anything bout blow ups.
Over here people are onto tuning old Mercedes 300TDīs (now thats only a 3 liter engine) that in street trim do low 11 second times at the quarter. But to get into those numbers there has been many blowups and the engine lifes seldom go over 50th miles if you keep on punishing them at the strip and in a boat the stress is like a constant uphill run on the road.
But impressive performance nonetheless I agree.
The durability for a diesel is considered 15000hrs/1000000miles between overhauls.
Not 60hrs like a blower bigblock or 600hrs for a normal bread and butter marine V8.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
Except engine life, of course. I hope people don't really think you can overfuel/over boost a diesel engine with no consequences.
Well for bigrigs taking a Scania V8 580hp to 700hp doesnīt shorten the engine life one bit. You still do your one million miles with it.
So 440-525+ no harm done if EGTīs are kept reasonable.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Well for bigrigs taking a Scania V8 580hp to 700hp doesnīt shorten the engine life one bit. You still do your one million miles with it.

Ive heard of this being done, actually came from Super T. One of the diesel guru's...500-525hp and 350 pounds less equates to performance on a diesel boat. I still prefer the electronic 480hp and am looking forward to hear what the increase in power will be. Im not into smoke, so a turned down or somewhere inbetween, possibly 525-550 hp will be enough for me, and should be enough to get close to my desired speed. Jeff
Old 05-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Registered

mikeyFIN... what part of the country are you in? I can't find a diesel dyno around here and hope you are in houston. it seems all of them ust some dyno that they pull the trucks onto and strap them down... Well goog luck with your project, this diesels in sport boats/cruisers seems like an alomst open frontier, if anyone can get their feet in the door.

Ernie
Old 05-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Registered

Topspin..edited my Profile...sorry but canīt give you any immidate solution.

A diesel Dyno in Houston Area....hmmmm?
Well Anyone with an Engine dyno capable of taking what you got.
Smokey Yunick used to do just that in his Best Damn Garage in Town.

If not anyone In USA can provide heck then I might have to relocate :-)

Hereīs someone I think might help you?

http://www.swri.edu/4ORG/d03/d03home.htm
Old 05-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
Ive heard of this being done, actually came from Super T. One of the diesel guru's...500-525hp and 350 pounds less equates to performance on a diesel boat. I still prefer the electronic 480hp and am looking forward to hear what the increase in power will be. Im not into smoke, so a turned down or somewhere inbetween, possibly 525-550 hp will be enough for me, and should be enough to get close to my desired speed. Jeff
The funny thing with a diesel is that itīs the worlds easiest enigne to tune ..and brake...add fuel and boost and voila...a success or a catastrophy when you reach a limit.

If thereīs a lot of smoke it means itīs running rich... common with turbocharged diesels before they get into the boost zone.
So what to do..add a supercharger that gives enough air down low or tune tune tune with todays electronics the PPE vid was a proof of todays engine.
Volvo has done it in the smaller diesels for marine use.

Remember Smoke is a sign of unburnt fuel.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 05-06-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Registered

Over here people are onto tuning old Mercedes 300TDīs (now thats only a 3 liter engine) that in street trim do low 11 second times at the quarter. But to get into those numbers there has been many blowups and the engine lifes seldom go over 50th miles if you keep on punishing them at the strip and in a boat the stress is like a constant uphill run on the road.
But impressive performance nonetheless I agree.
The durability for a diesel is considered 15000hrs/1000000miles between overhauls.
Not 60hrs like a blower bigblock or 600hrs for a normal bread and butter marine V8.
i am aware of conditions these engines are subject to. and for the diesels the are capable of three times what they are advertised of. so opereating at a 50% increase in power and output they will more than live for years in a boat.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
Care to tell us who this is?
i am not remembering rite now, but a local marina who does alot of diesel convo's with yanmars had some literature on em. i ll see if i can find out.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

What engineering test data are you basing these assertions on?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
As much as I like the C ummins inline 6(my truck is powered by one), I think the Duramax V8 would be the better choice as almost all engine compartments are configured for V8s. Jassby's 43 Nortech V had to be built with two Yanmars instead of three because of engine bay length limitations. If the Duramax had been available he probly would have put three in that boat.

Gale Banks is a well-known diesel tuner here in the States and he built a road race Chevy S10 with the Duramax/Allison and it is beating up on every truck in its class with just 650hp.

I like the SDS shiftable crash box with the ASD8/10 drive with this motor in a marine application. Now please will somebody do that??

The only way to get 3 Yanmar's in is go to the 50 Nortech which is actually 52'. It is impossible to get 3 in my 4300 which is actually 44'8" or a matter of fact any 40-47' boat with out modifying the cockpit. Even the 50 Hustler which is 49'6" had to put 2/3rds of the motor under the rear seat. They have a very deep boat and it worked. When you add the 3rd motor you add weight, and these diesels are not light, so you have to make sure the boat is capable of handling it. My boat sits great in the water, and has a level attitude. As to the Duramax diesel, I'll wait till they are out and tested. I'm glad someone is working on them. For right now, I'm liking the tried and true Yannie straight 6, for longevity. Jeff

Quick Reply: Diesel powered sport boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.