Notices

Wavy Fiberglass boats?

Old 02-24-2004, 01:28 PM
TURB02256

I recently purchased an older boat with a straight hull but the deck is wavy. I didn't much worry about it because the deck has more stringers than most have in there hull and all bulkheads are full.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the waves on the side do the same thing as steps on the bottom.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

interesting question, being a glass and graphics guy i have been asked this many many times . one of the biggest reasons for the waves has more to do with the way a boat is originaly concieved on the drawing board. if you look at the side of the Platinum boats they have a fair amount of crown on the overall shape in the sides of the boat. your eye has a tough time picking up waves in a panel that is convex in shape. on the other side of the coin as the side of a boat becomes flatter like early top guns (just for example) it is very easy for your eye to pick up on the slighest inconsistancy in the overall finish in the boat. add to that some of these boats are very long, fourty to fifty feet, and it becomes even easier to see the waves. in other words the longer and more linear a boats side is the the tougher it is to make it look straight. add some crown to it and the waves will hide better (but this goes back to the designer). another big factor in causing the waves is the placement of bulkheads. any where you see one of those "tucks" in the side there is probably a joint tabed in on the inside structure leaving a hard spot that dosent allow for much flex. since the boat is always expanding and contracting thermaly you will never be able to get rid of that wavy look. granted it also has to do with many of the reasons listed above but some boats by design will never be able to be viewed as straight. bottom line is, you look close enough at any thing and you will find a flaw.

also saw on another thread about flaws in some of the high end graphics jobs. some of these are so complex they dont allow for much error. you just simply cant do a job that big and not have some kind of small flaw. i looked very closley at the Sorceror Skater at key west this year. awsome awsome job and if im not mistaken it was like 50 or 60 grand. and one of my favorites by the way. yea . .sure. . . . you could find some tiny little flaws if you looked close enough im sure. but if you are looking THAT close you are not looking at it for what it really is. . . .art . . .

the closer you get to perfection the farther away you really are.

does any of this make sense? or is it just me. hope all that came across the right way cuz it sure sounded good in my head
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PhantomChaos
Craig.....from what I could tell, the hulls you saw in the morning were wavy while the hulls you saw in the afternonn looked straight. In some cases, they were the same hulls.
As for me...they start out straight and end up wavy.....or is it ME
Old 02-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh... Yeah, what he said.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

GlassDave...Excellent synopsis, well put. Question for ya, can the molds be modified after each boat comes out to make the next boat better and so on, until perfect, thanks Jeff
Old 02-26-2004, 09:44 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by PhantomChaos
Craig.....from what I could tell, the hulls you saw in the morning were wavy while the hulls you saw in the afternonn looked straight. In some cases, they were the same hulls.
Diddo and "It's all good"
Old 02-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

jassman- you could probably continue to refine a series of boats but like i said. just by design some boats could never look straight. as you step farther away from a boat and are able to "sight" down the side your eye is able to pick up the slightest flaw in boats that are designed with linear sides. you cant do this with a panel that has alot of crown on it because your eye has no referance points only tangent points. simply put you cannot take a fourty plus foot piece of fiberglass and make it look like the surface of a CD. you can however mask alot of flaws with a bit of style .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-26-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I have a friend that has a very nice boat that has an obvious flaw on the deck. Every other boat of the same model over several years I have seen has the same flaw. So I have the same question...can the mold be fixed? Im not even thinking of naming the manufacturer ut its a big dollar boat.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glassdave sounds good. On some boats you can see the bulk heads where they attach the the side ,there is usually a wave there.Or if there is a long span between the bulk heads?

I guess the bottom is all that matters

I was reading something on the new Outer Limits epoxy hull they said it was real stiff , did not cushion [flex]on the waves. Jared them . I would think if they used the same stuff in the side it would be pretty straight . dunaknow?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Wavy Fiberglass boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.