Fight higher gas prices.....this could work >

Fight higher gas prices.....this could work

Notices

Fight higher gas prices.....this could work

Old 02-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Fight higher gas prices.....this could work

A pretty simple plan to take the power back from the oil companies. I'm in and I hope all of you will at least consider this.

GAS War:

Join the resistance.
Rumors are being spread that gas will hit close to $ 3.00 per gallon by this summer. Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent action. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea. This makes much more sense than the "don't buy gas on a certain" campaign that was going around last April or May. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvienence to us than it was a problem for the, BUT, this is a plan that could work. Please read and join with us.

By now you're thinking gas priced at about $ 1.50 is cheap. So am I. I'm about $ 1.65-$ 1.70 for unleaded around here. Now that the oil companies and OPEC have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $ 1.50-$ 1.75, we need to take agressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace, not the sellers. With the price of gas going up more each day, we consumers have to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas. AND we can do that without hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea. For the rest of this year, DO NOT purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies, (which are now one), Exxon and Mobil. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do. Now, don't wimp out at this point. Please keep reading. and see how simple it is to reach millions of people.

I am sending this note to about 30 people. If all of you send this to ten people that's 300. And if each of those sends it to 10 people that's 3000, and so on, and by the time we reach the sixth generation we will have reached 3 million consumers. If those 3 million people pass it on to 10 more, then 30 million consumers have been reached. If it goes one more level, yep, 300 million consumers have been contacted. Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. If all of us act on this, it could be accomplished in less than two weeks. Acting together WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

If this makes any sense at all to you, PLEASE pass this on. We have nothing to lose. Until they lower, and keep their prices in the $ 1.30 range we keep on boycotting the "big two". This can work. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:13 AM
Banned

My boycotting won't help since I never buy from those two anyway.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

This is some kind of "urban legend" I believe. This floats around the internet everytime gas prices start to rise.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Registered

I realize it is only a start, but I've personally gotten forty maybe forty five people involved and doing this.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:59 AM
Registered

OK...no more Mobil for me, should help out since I drive an Excursion.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a good thought, but difficult to implement. My parents owned a gas station, so I do have some experience in the industry.

I would venture to guess that Exxon/Mobile does not make the greatest percentage of profit from gas stations that are corporate/franchise. They make there profits from selling to all the discount retailers.

Around here, Casey's General Store is in every small town. They are usually a penny cheaper for gas - and have great donuts (stop drooling Troutly ). Where do they get their gas? When you go to your favorite discount gas station, do you know who's gas you are buying?

It would be impossible to effectively boycott Exxon - you'll be buying their gas anyway.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Frequency
This is a good thought, but difficult to implement. My parents owned a gas station, so I do have some experience in the industry.

I would venture to guess that Exxon/Mobile does not make the greatest percentage of profit from gas stations that are corporate/franchise. They make there profits from selling to all the discount retailers.

Around here, Casey's General Store is in every small town. They are usually a penny cheaper for gas - and have great donuts (stop drooling Troutly ). Where do they get their gas? When you go to your favorite discount gas station, do you know who's gas you are buying?

It would be impossible to effectively boycott Exxon - you'll be buying their gas anyway.
Exactly what i was thinking which gas station chains does exxon/mobil supply?
Old 02-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Urban Legend

Sorry I had to The fun Police has struck again
Old 02-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Frequency

You are right on target....My father was in the gas business for a while and owned multiple stations, and I have been looking at buying a station.

The margins that the individual owners make on gas is not what most think it is. If you boycott your local station, unless it is corporate owned, you are just hurting the owner.

Most stations I have been looking at average a blended margin of 10-12 cents a gallon. Some are higher but they are not selling nearly as much gas as the reasonable stations. That 10-12 cents is gross profit by the way.

The stations with stores or service bays usually make more from store sales or service then they do from gas.

Last edited by Havasu Cig; 02-24-2004 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts
Default Interesting but---

not sure anything we can do would be enough to get these a-holes attention.
Think about a couple of things that the oil companies know and pay attention to.

#1. The people that can afford a 30' and up Offshore (or cruiser) boat, and a new or near new Dually to tow it, can and will pay $3. a gallon for boat gas if they have to.

#2. The oil people as well as the auto industry know that the biggest growing segment is the SUV and truck market.
If you look back at the fuel crunch in the '80's (gas was cheaper then by about 30%), every one was buying/driving 45 mpg roller skate/econo boxes. Then we had a voice but now??

They know we and our wives/girlfriends are driving 13 mpg Excursions to the local grocery store when we/they could be driving our/their Honda's.

With the above being said, how can we expect the oil companies to do anything but laugh when we *****??

My fiance and I used to have two vehicles only. Her Dodge Ram p/u which gets 14 mpg down hill with a tail wind and my one ton GMC van that gets 12 if I draft her!
About 6 months ago I got sick of what the gas prices were doing then (going from $1.10 to $1.40) and was panicking about buying boat gas this Summer.
I bought a $1900. 1990 VW Jetta that gets 30 mpg and put liability insurance on it.
We now drive it everywhere!! It's a clean little car (16 valve GLI 5 speed so it's fun to drive), and will sell for at least a grand more than I paid for it.
I drive a **** pile of miles every year too.
45K last year. (not counting what the Mrs. does)
If you do the math of just my miles that's $5366. in gas I would have spent all last year on my van. (it's work required)
If you take into account that I drove my beater about half those miles that means I only really spent about $4026. in gas last year and screwed the oil company out of $1340. or almost the price of my beater
If I do the math for the Mrs. side of the driving my car instead of her truck, the savings go up even more and the car has now paid for itself in the first 6 months
Did they feel it, probably not.
Do I feel like I did something anyhow? Yes.

I'm sure everyone also knows to make sure and have your boats fuel tanks filled before you get to the water to save the difference between gas pump and gas docks.(as well as the security of actual octane vs advertised)
I like the idea of the fuel caddy's too. Get 30 gallons on the way to the dock and dump it in the boat when you get there. (I know a lot of Marinas won't let you do this)

You can also pull the boat out and trailer to a near by station to save on per/gall. $

Sorry for the book but it's a sore subject for me too and one I don't think anyone (oil companies) cares about.
Gary

Quick Reply: Fight higher gas prices.....this could work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.