Notices

Florida

Old 02-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida

I have relatives in Florida around the St. Pete area. When I was younger we would go down there on a annual basis. Now that I'm on my own, I very rarely get down to Florida. I have never been south of the bay. We are trying to plan a cruise next year and would like to spend a week in Florida seeing the sights. We want to concentrate the sight seeing to the southern half of the state. I'm looking for members input as to what we should make a point of seeing/doing.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Gold Member

cig plant...
nortech plant...
<cough>apache plant<cough>
Pantera plant
shall I go on?
Old 02-24-2004, 01:41 PM
Registered

Cleavlander, Montey`s, Shooters. That should just about do it!
Old 02-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Registered

Your forgetting Crobar, in southbeach. Also, there are plenty of bike shops like Choppers Inc in Melbourne, Several harley dealers around. And if you like to party, check out Ybor City just outside of Tampa. Plenty of bars, clubs, shops, coffee houses, etc..
Old 02-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Registered

Run the Okochoobee Waterway, from Stuart on the east coast to Ft. Myers on the west coast. Halfway across, on the western side, stay at Roland Martin's marina. This is one of the most memorable boating "trips" you could ever take. Be sure to check that all the locks are operating. If you want more info, PM me and I'll send you some info.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Banned

Are you bringing children?
Old 02-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring your Spanish to English dictionary!

Old 02-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Banned

If you're not into night life and industial plants, there are some neat natural things to see in Florida.

Spend a day or two at the mouth of the Suwanee River, there are boats to rent there, or if not, I'll bring one up. It is a beautiful natural river. There is practically no signs of developement on the last 20 miles or so of the river, it is a Federal Wildlife Management Area. Bald Eagles, gators, wild hogs and other animals are not rare sights along the river. And If you go in the summer, I guarrantee you will see the last remaining stocks of Sturgeon rocketing out of the water for no apparent reason. It is truly an amazing place. If you get a boat, there are some large springs to stop at along the river, Manatee Springs and Fanning Springs being the most notable that have docks and facilties.

From there I would travel south about an hour and go to Crystal River to catch the manatees doing their thing. I know manatees don't have much love in the boating circles, but hey, they aren't lobbying for the speed laws and dock moritoriums. I wouldn't rent a boat there, you can see everything from land.

The go about 15 miles south of there to the Homosassa River. There is a big spring at the headwaters. Now there you may want to get a boat and ride down to the gulf. There is a restaurant on an island right at the mouth with only boat access. I believe Crumps, a restaurant on the river (damn good one too) has a ferry that goes to the Crow's Nest out at the island. I usually stay at McCrae's Fish Camp directly across the river from Crumps. They rent boats.

From there, come south about two hours to Pinellas County (my jurisdiction ) and check out Ft Desoto Park then head on over the Skyway. It's quite a bridge.

I assume the cruise is leaving from the east coast, so I'd take the Tamiami Trail (US 41) across to the other coast. We just made that trip coming back from the boat show. I hadn't gone that way in years every since they four laned Alligator Alley and made it a part of the interstate system. The Tamiami Trail is a MUCH more interesting ride. Catch a ride on an airboat on your way across.

I see I left out my favortie place in the entire world. The beach at Panama City is just incredible! Visit St Andrews State Park at the mouth of the bay.

There isn't many places in Florida I haven't been. Shoot me an email if you have any questions.
Joe
Old 02-24-2004, 03:13 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

To answer your questions....

No kids allowed

Actually, I think the cruise was leaving just north of Miami. Fort Meyers? We figured on flying into Tampa to see the family and then driving South.

If you guys list a neat spot to see, then you have to tell me how to find it. Remember, I don't know anything outside of the Tampa area so I'm blind here.

Cuda/Formula. I'd love to go boating. Unfortunately, it'll be hard to get my boat into the carry-on compartment. I'm also nervous about going out by myself.

Cuda-now that sounds like some great info!

What about the Miami/Keys area?

Last edited by Cord; 02-24-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Cord
To answer your questions....

No kids allowed

Cuda-now that sounds like some great info!

What about the Miami/Keys area?
Keys are always good, Holiday Isle, Tiki Bar, Hawks Cay, or all the way to Key West if your up to it, but honestly Key West is good for only 2 things, Drinkin', and Fishin'(not that those are bad things, but better done in a group.

I am also familiar with the area Cuda is talkin about, very good, if you are into nature, I am not so I dont go there. Dad lives in that area, So occasionally, Ill go to the waterfront to get outta the house, but never boated the area.

Oh yeah, just North of Miami would be Fort lauderdale, Port Everglades. We have a few eating/drinking establishments in town also!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Florida

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.