Notices

Registration Numbers

Old 02-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registration Numbers

OK, so I need to get the registration number for my new boat put on it. I know that you can get away with a little bit of creativity on the numbers (my old boat had them painted on with a fade), but not sure how much. I actually got a bit of a warning about my old boats numbers by a sheriff once.

Anyway, if anyone has pics of their boats registration number I would love to see them. Looking for some ideas. Also, if you have ever been warned or ticketed about your reg. number graphic please post the pic and let me know. Not looking to be harassed while boating, but just plain numbers seems a tad boring.

Here is the boat I need to do.
Attached Thumbnails Registration Numbers-baja3.jpg  
Old 02-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Registered

Whatever you do just don't use square reflective mailbox numbers, i've seen it done a few times now. Vinyl graphics are pretty cheap and will probably last longer than you'll own the boat.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I believe wisconsin requires their letters to be of a block style and contrasting with the background color. I had mine cut out of chrome vinyl. The chrome really disappears on the boat.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never been hasseled for numbers, must have been the loud exhaust they got me for that distracted them from the bow!?

Anyway, for my last four boats I have done 2-color numbers so it shows up as one color with a border of the other around it. Picked a good font, but not too crazy, just a bit different, and canted it forward about 15 degrees on each side. In your case maybe do either blue / purple (can't tell what it actually is) over yellow, this way you have the yellow as a border and the darker color inside that. You could do it the other way around but I think the yellow would be too much up front. I'll see if I have any pics of my last bow numbers and I'll post it. Sylfaen with a slight cant always looks good and clean, but just different enough.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Hardline Products makes a nice kit available at just about any PWC/Motorcycle accessory department. I have used them for several years and on several vessels, and they work well; last long time.
Owner of the company is a member of OSO too.

http://www.hardlineproducts.com/boatreg.html
Old 02-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to your local sign store and have a vinyl sign made. There are plenty of fonts and colors to choose from. It goes on as one piece.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

In Virginia, you are required to use block type numbers. But, like just about almost any other violation on the water, you have to be doing something really stupid (or act like a jerk) to get written up for it!! I know because the CG Aux. was doing free safety checks at our boat ramp and they failed my Formula because the numbers weren't block style.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally posted by DoTheMath
I have never been hasseled for numbers, must have been the loud exhaust they got me for that distracted them from the bow!?

Anyway, for my last four boats I have done 2-color numbers so it shows up as one color with a border of the other around it. Picked a good font, but not too crazy, just a bit different, and canted it forward about 15 degrees on each side. In your case maybe do either blue / purple (can't tell what it actually is) over yellow, this way you have the yellow as a border and the darker color inside that. You could do it the other way around but I think the yellow would be too much up front. I'll see if I have any pics of my last bow numbers and I'll post it. Sylfaen with a slight cant always looks good and clean, but just different enough.
This sounds nice. Please post a pic if you can find one.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:28 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have mine painted on the side of mine. They are what I would call a nice looking blick style with a shadow background look to them. I have a white hull so it is easier to do on mine... I have a vinyl stencle made and used paint that matches the main purple on my boat.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Registered

Got a pic?

Quick Reply: Registration Numbers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.