Notices

Prop finish

Old 02-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 29 OUTLAW
I've tried it both ways and saw no difference.

Lots of guys who lab props will tell you satin is faster. Sure - it's faster for them because they don't have to spend an extra hour polishing it.
Thank You!!!

Matt
Old 02-25-2004, 03:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally posted by Pointerman
What does satin finish look like? Can someone post a pic?

They look like you ran aground with a polished prop!!
Old 02-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I like the polished freshly labbed look.

However...
My prop prefers the "beaten' the $hit out of by the Potomac River look", especially on the first outing right after getting it labbed.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-25-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Sydwayz
I like the polished freshly labbed look.

However...
My prop prefers the "beaten' the $hit out of by the Potomac River look", especially on the first outing right after getting it labbed.
I had 4 props done buy the local Potomac river prop guy and they all sucked. I had to take them back to have him try to fix them witch he said he did, he got two of them back to where they feel like they need to be done and the other two still need to be fixed. He told me that he could not do anymore free work on them after the one time, he still hasn't done the work he was paid to do the first time. I am glad I went with a satin finish to save some money. So if you live near me you might want to pm about who not to take your prop too.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Registered

Default Re: Prop finish

Originally posted by Scarab3DMC
ok .. how about a consensus.. whats the best finish for a prop... polished or satin??? inquiring minds need to know!!!! thanks... DAVE
I had a metallurgists engineer in the shop the other day and was having a blast or he was ,He came by to have his prop fixed and we started talking,he says the polished finish IS STRONGER.It's more ductile,less likely to break,as you know we did the satin finish vs.polish Baja Daze and Craig223 both did the testing on there boats and reported the satin a tad faster.

I like the polish , it sure looks nicer,but just depends if your boat stays in the water or not.and it sure takes alot more time to polish them as many of you know, and it cost more but I think it's worth it.as the speed difference was very minimal.
Attached Thumbnails Prop finish-shop-vacation-373.jpg  

Last edited by HOUSTONPROP; 02-26-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good points Darin.

I'm glad you brought up the strength implications. Polished is better in this department for two reasons. Number one, the satin finish is basically just a thatchwork of microscratches. These may lead to stress-risers near the root of the blade, which can be exacerbated by thinning the blades during lab finishing. Second, the scratches dramatically increase the chances of corrosion which will further weaken the blade.

All in all, if the 1/2 mph is worth it to you and you don't leave the boat in the water for extended times, satin may be best.

But the appearance of polished is so much better.

Old 02-27-2004, 07:28 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

LOR,
I know the guy, but have not done business with him. I heard many of the same things, but have no experience. I sent mine to York Propeller to be labbed over the winter. First time in the muck, and dinged it up in Mattawoman.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:31 AM
Registered

I hadn't hit a prop for 6 years then hit 3 bravo 1's in a 4 day weekend!!! I geuss bad things do happen in 3's.