If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was trying to buff out my 29 Fountain and was buffing lightly and buffed through the stripes. I had to repaint the stripes. They were so thin that I wonder if you just buff the boat with 3M compound that they will come off pretty easy.

I took a single edge razor blade to mine. Worked like a charm. Of course, I wasn't real concerned about nicks in the gel given the condition of the rest of the hull. If you are careful it might work for you.

Neno the mind boggler VIP Member glassdave's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
    toledo oh
    wildfire- i have used that trick many times and have striped entire boats like that. the trick to doing it safely is to round the corners off of the blade with a fine grit sandpaper. depending on how well the paint is bonded to the gel. sometimes i will dull the blade also. keeps it fron digging in.

oh. and you might want to wear a pair of safety glasses when doing this. it tends to fracture the paint into these sharp little flakes that fly every where.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
    08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
    08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
    08 OPA High Points Champion
    10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

I agree with Too Old.
    I've used acetone on painted on sponsor names, and the paint wiped off fairly easily.

speel chekk this fokker! Charter Member puder's Avatar
    My Boats:
    27' Scarab
    Locust Valley, New York
    i took off a name down the side of my boat. over cleaner made quick work of the paint but made the gelcote haze up. I had to wetsand 800-1200-1500 with a spray bottle full or water and an air random orbit sander. Finished up with compound and a healthy waxxing. It was major pain in the ass but it got the large orange 80s style block lettered "pure energy" off the side of my boat.
    Pardon me, while I whip this out!

My Boats:
    '99 Formula 382 Poker Run Special/'05 Formula 260 SS
    Toledo, Ohio/Las Vegas, NV
    I have also used acetone to remove painted-on registration numbers from Imron. It will soften the Imron if left on for more than a few strokes at a time.

I just stripped a Cigarette Bullet with a product made by Kleen Strip it is Fiberglass safe and will not hurt the gel coat you can apply it with a paint brush just do not do it in the sun it will dry to fast the Bullet had a base coat clear coat finish on it so it took about 3 coats to get the paint off when you paint it on it will take about 5-8 minutes at about 60 degrees and then you can scrape it off with a razor blade any questions give me a call 918-906-9801

Im looking at doing the same thing.

Jryan26 you watched me strip the Cig Bullet.

When are you going to start on yours??

Were doomed! Charter Member Wally's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Chris Craft Stinger 222
    Chicago, IL
    We used easy off oven cleaner on my buddys 28cig project a while back.....had to take off :"cigarette racing" off the side that was painted on. I wouldnt recomend it cause you have to play with the time period of when it takes effect. We got about 80% of the way through the boat with great results and then a guy left it on there about 10min too long on one side when he went to answer a phone call with us not knowing working on the other side....... turned the gell a stained yellow! and the worse part about it is that it has bled through the new paint a little........nothing a little creative sticker work didnt fix but it did get the owner pissed off cause of the money spent on the paint job!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast