Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Has anybody stripped painted graphics from Gelcoat? >

Has anybody stripped painted graphics from Gelcoat?

Notices

Has anybody stripped painted graphics from Gelcoat?

Old 02-25-2004, 09:26 PM
sauron

I was trying to buff out my 29 Fountain and was buffing lightly and buffed through the stripes. I had to repaint the stripes. They were so thin that I wonder if you just buff the boat with 3M compound that they will come off pretty easy.

Old 02-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Wildfire

I took a single edge razor blade to mine. Worked like a charm. Of course, I wasn't real concerned about nicks in the gel given the condition of the rest of the hull. If you are careful it might work for you.

Old 02-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

wildfire- i have used that trick many times and have striped entire boats like that. the trick to doing it safely is to round the corners off of the blade with a fine grit sandpaper. depending on how well the paint is bonded to the gel. sometimes i will dull the blade also. keeps it fron digging in.

oh. and you might want to wear a pair of safety glasses when doing this. it tends to fracture the paint into these sharp little flakes that fly every where.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-25-2004, 10:36 PM
BK
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Too Old.
I've used acetone on painted on sponsor names, and the paint wiped off fairly easily.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:01 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i took off a name down the side of my boat. over cleaner made quick work of the paint but made the gelcote haze up. I had to wetsand 800-1200-1500 with a spray bottle full or water and an air random orbit sander. Finished up with compound and a healthy waxxing. It was major pain in the ass but it got the large orange 80s style block lettered "pure energy" off the side of my boat.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also used acetone to remove painted-on registration numbers from Imron. It will soften the Imron if left on for more than a few strokes at a time.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:21 AM
Registered

I just stripped a Cigarette Bullet with a product made by Kleen Strip it is Fiberglass safe and will not hurt the gel coat you can apply it with a paint brush just do not do it in the sun it will dry to fast the Bullet had a base coat clear coat finish on it so it took about 3 coats to get the paint off when you paint it on it will take about 5-8 minutes at about 60 degrees and then you can scrape it off with a razor blade any questions give me a call 918-906-9801
Old 02-26-2004, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im looking at doing the same thing.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:20 AM
Registered

Jryan26 you watched me strip the Cig Bullet.

When are you going to start on yours??
Old 02-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

We used easy off oven cleaner on my buddys 28cig project a while back.....had to take off :"cigarette racing" off the side that was painted on. I wouldnt recomend it cause you have to play with the time period of when it takes effect. We got about 80% of the way through the boat with great results and then a guy left it on there about 10min too long on one side when he went to answer a phone call with us not knowing working on the other side....... turned the gell a stained yellow! and the worse part about it is that it has bled through the new paint a little........nothing a little creative sticker work didnt fix but it did get the owner pissed off cause of the money spent on the paint job!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Quick Reply: Has anybody stripped painted graphics from Gelcoat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.