Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The future of outdrives... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/72785-future-outdrives.html)

ernie davis 03-05-2004 01:50 PM

Wasn't JAP an English Motor Mfg. :D

Von Bongo 03-05-2004 03:30 PM

Mark I hope you are right...and I hope it is priced REASONABLE...

PatriYacht 03-05-2004 04:36 PM

Originally posted by MARK BENTLEY
You will see an upgrade from Mercury. New unit, way tougher than the XR, shimable uppers with tapered roller bearings etc. Bolts on a Bravo Transom assy. They are done with r&d, production should be started in Stillwater soon, if it hasn't already.
Interesting rumor, tell us more!

Reed Jensen 03-05-2004 04:37 PM

Originally posted by ernie davis
Wasn't JAP an English Motor Mfg. :D
yeap.... James.... A.... Prestwich.... JAP

Poorsche 04-10-2004 07:41 AM

I've been looking for alternative to TRS drives--pretty much same questions need answered--

Arnesons are great--BUT--require either transmission change from B/W to TwinDisc drop tranny OR lower engine several inches to get drives to right location on transon--big bucks and/or lotta work; the Arenson conversion kit is well done but prices project out of realistic reach for ROI;

Konrads seem well done and folks are super knowledgable--but you get locked in to proprietary parts and limited distribution and low volume sales make pricing too high to have good ROI on older boat;

I just found some info on a TRS to Bravo adapter at Outdrives.com -- I'm waiting for thier specs and prices -- we'll see if that's a viable alternative to traditional Bravo conversion PITA;

Nobody's talked about JetDrive's ??

I've got the Arensons but gonnahave to bail on that conversion because of cost and technical issue's--anybody interested ???

Anybody got any really creative TRS replacement success stories?

Miami 04-10-2004 09:03 AM

ASgree with all ...would like stong drive for less $$$$$

However - say i buy a Conrad, Weisman, B-Max etc, go out for the day and have a problem. The drive needs to be removed, crateed up, sent to mfg, wait for diagnosis, authorize repair or correction, wait till it is shipped back to me, bribe mechanic to re-install and hoped i have not missed a month of precious boating time.

Most Quality shops can repair and or replace Mercury drives within a weeks time. Service and inventory will get me back on the water quickly. I'm stickin with the quickest solution....not the least expensive

Johno 04-10-2004 09:39 PM

Merc.

Mark Bentley ...heard similar talk today at a Poker Run. Merc was testing in the Keys recently with new drives. They tested a drive on his 04 25 Outlaw , GPS'ed at 75mph 496HO a gain of 7mph over a stock Bravo. There are some upgrades in the pipeline. What exactly those upgrades will be, we'll have to wait and see.
John

marinetrans 04-10-2004 09:51 PM

Merc's new shimmable upper is out now on new HP packages. Just got the tools and the manuals.Lots of new tools, shimming tools, gear jig/fixtures, and lash flags. Imco for years has had good luck w/ shimming upper gear sets.Merc is on the same path now.