Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   are pleasure boats running too fast? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/72990-pleasure-boats-running-too-fast.html)

mr_velocity 03-02-2004 06:16 PM

Education is not really the answer. The latest fatalities had nothing to do with a non-educated boater. What is really comes down to is the need for speed and the invincibility people get when they jump into these fast boats. I would never get into a boat that runs over 120 mph without a canopy, full time air and a rescue team in a helicopter. But that is my decision, others need to make their own decision on how much risk they wish to take. As long as they're not taking out innocent bystanders I don't care if you want to go 200mph on a surfboard. The government shouldn't care either and has no business regulating how you kill yourself.

super termoli 03-02-2004 06:28 PM

T2x, I agree 100%

Mr. Velocity, it's true that the latest tragedy had nothing to do with inexperience and non-education but many accidents do. If we can cut the accidents down to only those which occur because of mechanical failures or pure "acts of God", we'd be doing pretty well.

And I fully agree that govt. has no business in regulating this issue but govt. may do it anyway without asking politely beforehand, if it feels enough pressure from the public or media. And unfortunately, I feel that one tragedy where innocent third parties are killed or injured by an offshore performance boat would be enough in some states. So why not beat the govt. to it and do something to regulate our sport ourselves. I'd much rather be regulated by someone like T2x than by some guy sitting in D.C. who doesn't know what a Bravo 1 is...

GLH 03-02-2004 06:58 PM

Originally posted by super termoli
In France, all sports bikes are limited to 100hp +/- 6% tolerance. Which means...
Bad example Trem. France here in the US is not exactlly a benchmark! ;):D:D:D

GLH 03-02-2004 07:01 PM

As Trem says the fact is legislation will not stop people from going balls to the wall and unfortunately some people will pay the ultimate price for their quest.

If nobody else gets hurt I hope they get their thrill and it's worth it to them.

GLH 03-02-2004 07:04 PM

And their family....

clearcut3 03-02-2004 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Demeanor
All motorcycles are now limited to a maximum speed of 187mph. This started as of 2001. It was brought about by the european consortium much like the U.S. NTSB who forced it down the throats of the manufacturers.
That is interesting. I was heavily into sport bikes when I was younger...worked for road Atlanta in college...but have gotten out of it in the last couple of years. I had not heard this information and that really sux...I can't believe they haven't just restricted the European models though :rolleyes: that would be simple.

I have had the urge to buy one again lately but haven't. I was involved in a head on collision on my CBR 900 a few years ago and walked away unscathed...kinda gives you a different perspective about how much other people can change your life or end it :crazy:

GLH 03-02-2004 07:18 PM

Originally posted by clearcut3
I have had the urge to buy one again lately but haven't. I was involved in a head on collision on my CBR 900 a few years ago and walked away unscathed...
What your saying is that you did not learn from the experience. If you want opinions ask either your wife, sons or daughters, parents or brothers and sisters what they think of your urge.

That's what I tough when I went to the funeral of a friend of my wife a couple years ago walking into church and seeing all the people he affected with his urge.

Sorry to be blunt but I hate avoidable disasters.

mr_velocity 03-02-2004 07:28 PM

Originally posted by super termoli
T2x, I agree 100%

Mr. Velocity, it's true that the latest tragedy had nothing to do with inexperience and non-education but many accidents do. If we can cut the accidents down to only those which occur because of mechanical failures or pure "acts of God", we'd be doing pretty well.

And I fully agree that govt. has no business in regulating this issue but govt. may do it anyway without asking politely beforehand, if it feels enough pressure from the public or media. And unfortunately, I feel that one tragedy where innocent third parties are killed or injured by an offshore performance boat would be enough in some states. So why not beat the govt. to it and do something to regulate our sport ourselves. I'd much rather be regulated by someone like T2x than by some guy sitting in D.C. who doesn't know what a Bravo 1 is...

I just find it odd that we put rescue teams in boats and choppers, have canopies on boat that follow Lavin guidelines, have full time air, wear helmets and vests when we race, you can't find a racer that says it's not needed. Yet when we go out an play and go much faster than any offshore race boat we decide it's not necessary.

One innocent third party getting hurt or killed will put an instant stop to performance boats. The whole speed issue here in NJ all erupted from someone that lost a family member that got hit by a cruiser that could barely run 20 mph. Yet speed was the blame.

clearcut3 03-02-2004 07:34 PM

GLH

I actually did learn a lot...I am much more paranoid when I am riding than I used to be...that accident was someone else's fault as it usually is when motorcycles are involved. After that incident I bought a Harley to try and calm my riding style down. I then sold it but still ride friends and family members often.

I think the main reason I have the urge is that I have gone 2 years without owning a street bike...which is the longest I have been without one in my life. Fortunately I'm still young...no wife or kids...so there aren't as many things to worry about...but hell I'm enjoying life too much to go yet :)...plus I need another boat next :p

GLH 03-02-2004 07:35 PM

Originally posted by mr_velocity
..all erupted from someone that lost a family member that got hit by a cruiser that could barely run 20 mph. Yet speed was the blame.
Welcome to reactive legislation based on the media and sensationalism of headlines, as mentioned earlier.