Notices

challenger offshore

Old 03-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The race team that I bought my hull from switched to a challenger and took it to the first race of 2002 in Daytona and the hull busted up before the race was over. The guy was pissed. The factory was not going to fix it until George told them that the year before he had won the national championship in a real old Magnum and never so much as got a crack but their boat could not finish one race. They built him another boat but said that this would be the last one they built for him. He raced it one season and hated it and then got rid of it. The team was "Team Deranged". So for a lake boat I guess they are O.K. but I would not take one to the ocean for some wave smashing. It might turn into a hull smashing instead. That is the only run in with them that I know of.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:00 PM
CIGAR

Would the 39 be considered old technology?? Would this hull be considered equal to say a top gun?????

Old 03-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Challenger= to a Cig........I dont think so......there I go again should just keep my mouth shut!!
Old 03-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

The 28's the Missouri water patrol uses are a single step hull.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Registered

The 39 is the original Aronow mold. The 28 and 33 are, as discussed, DDC's. Both of the bottoms were designed by harry Schoel. The decks and interiors were designed by Bonnett Design. They were a mold making company out of Holland, MI (since closed). Bonnett also did the design for most all of the Powerquest plugs and molds though Powerquest "finished" their own molds. That is why the decks and interiors of the Challenger 28 and 33's look so much like the Powerquests. The DDC is an excellent hull. When laid up properly, there is little with the same power and weight that will run with it. Rough water handling is better than most.

Harry is one of the most under-appreciated and recognized designers in the industry.

The 24, 28 (old hull and deck) and 30 footer (banana boat) were original Challenger stock back when they were built in Northern Michigan. The old Challengers were tanks and ran well. Jim Agles ran a 28 in "C" class in the early ninties and the boat ran in the low 100's, scary fast for that hull. It was later sold to the guys out of Chicago "Crazy Rhythm" and I believe they still run it every once in a while in the Great Lakes Trophy Series. Boatme could answer that for you.

The 42 they have was from Offshore Concepts, Inc. A small custom builder out of Grand Haven, MI that built a handfull of custom boats. They had two models, the race deck and sport cruiser. There are still a few floating around.

Challenger also purchased rights to a 55 from Italy but they don't own the molds.

They also own the old Mariah molds.

I believe Challenger is the largest, smallest boat manufacturer in the U.S.

To answer your original question: The 39 is old technology, the deck is straight out of the seventies. And for all you Apache lovers (myself included), that's not an insult, don't get your blowers in a bunch. The difference between the 41 apache design and the 39 Aronow design is the Apache is timeless.

Whirly
Old 03-02-2004, 08:47 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they have a 26 DDC which is my boat, they bought the mold from Larson

http://www.challengeroffshore.com/code/models/DDC26.htm
Old 03-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Registered

Hey Dyno, Are you picking on my boat? Dwight
Old 03-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Registered

Whirlygig, you certainly do have the history down. I really like the 396 and the 42 is really nice also. The only 39 Challenger is at the plant and is in good shape. I have seen many of the Magics and they are very nice.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whirly,

you are correct about crazy rhythm

they still ran that boat up until last year in the GLSCS

not sure if they are going to run this year

boat was a tank and took alot of abuse

it has been around a long time
Old 03-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Whitey
Hey Dyno, Are you picking on my boat? Dwight
Never Dwight!!you know I love ya man!!!I'm just disapointed in the direction that the company went in after it left Michigan...I love the old 28's, Classic and they rougher it gets the better they like it! In my opinion they sold out....

Quick Reply: challenger offshore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.