Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Project Update - 45 Apache (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73057-project-update-45-apache.html)

Hot Duck 03-03-2004 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Open72: Here is a picture of the boat in the last owner's garage. The bike behind the boat is the same color, but the design is different. The race car in this picture appears to be all white, but maybe it matched the boat at a previous or later date. I'm not sure.

birdog 03-03-2004 01:14 PM

Damn thats sweet !!!! Nothing i like better than seeing these old boats restored ! Please keep the updates coming !!!

OBNOXUS21 03-03-2004 01:22 PM

HotDuck--I know I have commented on the paint before and you agreed with me saying that sometimes it looked great and others you weren't so sure about it. In the last picture i think the paint does look pretty cool, especially from that angle. You definitely NOT crazy for taking on this project. You know i love this boat. I've even thought about doing going all the way on my old "resin bucket" but my mechanic does think I am crazy ;) Anyways congratulations and enjoy to your heart's content!!!

Hot Duck 03-03-2004 01:29 PM

stecz20: You are gonna love that truck. It rides a little rougher than a 350 when it is unloaded, but it rides great with a load on it and the towing difference is substantial.

Roger 1, WetKitty42: Thanks for the support!

Too Old: I guess that I am either on the right track or we are both crazy! :crazy: Boats are an addiction and I've got it bad.

Nauti Kitty: We are just shy of 1000HP per side. Our speed goal is mid 80's. If it will run there or better we'll be happy.

clearcut3: That is true. There may be other 41 and 47' Apaches wherever we go, but I don't think that we will see another 45. From what I understand, this is the only 45 Apache out there. You gotta dare to be different. Right?

Geoghegan: Hey Bob! Thank you. So far married life has been great! Basically no different than before. I am lucky to have a good girl that I get along with so well. Are you ready for another race season? As you know, I sold the race boat to Bill, but I will still be up there for the OPA events this year. I am looking forward to seeing you guys again. It's gonna be a fun summer!

SLINGSHOT 03-03-2004 01:51 PM

awesome boat....and in all reality 160k isnt alot of money to have in that boat:cool:

C M R 03-03-2004 02:04 PM

HotDuck- Nothing like the old classic lines being restored!! My goal is to restore an older Topgun the way I want it! Looks great keep up the pics!

TIGER-1 03-03-2004 03:34 PM

I was at Tres shop Tuesday and saw the Apache.Looks like it going great,awesome machine.The engines look great,I see your getting a new trailer-sweet.

First poker run N.Y. City in June.

Comanche3Six 03-03-2004 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Hot Duck
CigaretteFirefox: I could not get the PM to go through so I'll post it here. It's not a big secret anyway because everybody here knows what boats and their parts costs. I guess that you could say we are all in the same boat! :D :D :D OK. That was bad. :p

As everybody knows, we have been working on this Apache for almost a year now. Including the original purchase price, we have approximately 150-160K in the boat so far. That includes everything except the money we got back from selling the old parts.

The most expensive items were obviously the engines. The only thing we used from the old engines are the blocks, and those were even bored and decked by a machine shop before starting the rebuild. Basically they are brand new engines now from the crank to the carbs. We even replaced the accessories (starters, alternators, steering pumps, etc) because the old ones were just plain worn out and marginal. Better safe than sorry.

Another big ticket item was the purchase of new Huber 1330 transmissions. The boat had crash boxes when we bought it, which some people like better than transmissions. For racing I agree that crash boxes are the way to go, but for a pleasure boat I prefer transmissions. I am not saying that one is better than the other. It is just a matter of personal preference.

The last big expense was the new trailer. The old trailer pictured in the thread was a bumper pull style. The hitch on my F-450 is only rated for 14K pounds and is the largest that I could find. Figuring that the boat weighs around 12K pounds the way it is, without a cabin or fuel (holds 400 gallons), I did not want to chance being over weight in the event of a traffic stop or a traffic accident. For this reason we are building a new Myco gooseneck. It has everything from the tool boxes to a fresh water tank and pump for washing and flushing the boat. This will allow us to take care of the boat after a run no matter where we are. If you are gonna do it, you might as well do it right. Right?

Anyhow, the rest of the money was spent on a lot of miscellaneous items. We rewired some things, added some electronics, fixed or replaced some things that were not working, replaced some things that were missing, made cockpit and travel covers, etc...

That is all that is going to happen this year. The boat still needs cosmetic work, but the electrical and mechanical items are all brand new now. Next winter, if finances allow, we want to paint it, add a simple cabin, re-upholster the cockpit and change a few more odds and ends. When that is done the boat will be back to brand new condition...where it deserves to be! :D

Some people may think that we are crazy for dumping money into an old boat and restoring it, but I plan to keep this boat for a long time and want to do it right the first time. It may not be the fastest or the best looking when it is done, but it will be done the way that I want it! I have had state of the art race boats and even just sold one, but now I am changing gears and I just want to cruise off into the sunset in this old resin bucket! :D

Thanks for feeding my need to know, and may I say you have a hell of a boat for the investment. Please post performance of this unique Apache.
Best of luck.
Ed

sgrady 03-03-2004 05:09 PM

Nice Keep the pics coming !

Neverfastenuf 03-03-2004 05:19 PM

This thread is what this forum is all about. Will, your boat is looking awesome. I, along with quite a few others I imagine, entertained the idea of purchasing that boat. You and Tres have done one very fine job of restoring the boat. You said it may not be the best looking boat out there, well I have a feeling that when you are done with it there will be very few boats that surpass it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it shows from this thread that you have a "beaut" right there. Again, awesome job. Sam