Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Good vacation spots in the keys?? >

Good vacation spots in the keys??

Notices

Good vacation spots in the keys??

Old 03-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did the Dolphins in Key Largo, it was one of the coolest things we've done. My son really enjoyed it. However is was a little chilly when we were down there. Can't remember where we stayed but it was a condo with a marina right on the water. We snorkled right there.
When are you heading down? We'll be doing Hutchinson Island in April. My son has been scuba diving for 4 years now and we're going to do some reefs. Since he's only 8 he can't carry a tank so his reg is attached to my tank via a 25' hose. Works great in the pool since I can leave the tank on the deck or let it drop to the bottom.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Registered

Garry,

I think the "open week" on her summer schedule was 16 August. I see there is a poker run on the 29th, but her school starts last week of August so we can't make it that late in the year.

None of us does scuba, so looking at snorkeling. I've thought of the PADI cert classes but never seem to find the time.

Ron,

I've surfed with the dolphins in CA, scarry as hell the first time one comes up to you. Have to keep telling myself if the tail flukes are horizontal it's ok <LOL>

-Greg
Old 03-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

If you want to Dive, you can take a "Resort course" It's two hours in the pool and then you can dive down to about 30 feet.

The best part is, if you do the course once, you can dive throughout the week without doing the course again.

OR, take the PADI course at home and then do the final open water dives in the keys. SCUBA ROCKS.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Registered

Can't agree more with Hawk's Cay. Tizbad and I took the familys down there for new years. Primo resort with a LOT of dive spots nearby.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Banned

Marathon is my favorite spot. It's a bigger island so most everything you need is right there. It's not as touristy as KW. There is a large range of accomodations from pricey to mom and pop. Sombrero Reef, just off the island is a fantastic dive or snorkle spot.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to disagree with my good pal Ron P., but be really careful if you take a "Resort Course". Some of the operators will tell you next to nothing, dunk your head in the pool, and then drag you offshore Scuba is a very safe sport but you have to be trained and trained well. I took a resort course in Cancun and after I got properly certified it scared me to death to think what I did in Mexico. You can take a PADI course in a couple of weekends and then do a check out in the Keys-that is the best way to do it if you want to get into it quick.

Don't forget to do Robbies and the tarpons when you are down-very cool.

I also had some great snorkeling with my kids off of Islamorada- the boat rentals are a great idea. (Wait till the rental guys see you dock their boat-totally freaks them out when you don't crash into something )
Old 03-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Registered

Little Palm island has alot of coral heads and a patch reef right off of the sandy beach and or sand flat . You can walk most of the way, its great for kids, kinda pricey, But Eat, Drink,kids have fun. Take a boat to the island and not want to go home. My family and I had a wonderful time.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Registered

I'm with Cuda... Marathon is really nice. Everything you need is right there and Sombrero Reef is beautiful. Keep in mind though that it is about 5 miles offshore so you will either need a boat or a charter. Both are available with no problems there. When are you planning on coming down ?