Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Personal Liability Umbrella (Insurance) Policies (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73196-personal-liability-umbrella-insurance-policies.html)

Shane 03-04-2004 01:05 PM

I have had one for years. I have a GREAT SF agent and have all my insurance with them except for the Skater as they will not insure it. I did however shop all my policies and came back to my agent and he made drastic reductions in the premiums. I don't think there is much of a concern with having all of your insurance at one firm unless you have astronomical coverage amounts to cover astronomical assets. Then find a good agent that represents many companies. I have had only 2 claims in my life, one just now for water damage due to ice back up, and one other for when my truck was broken into and lots of stuff stolen. SF paid in 48 hours NO QUESTIONS asked!

Sydwayz 03-04-2004 02:10 PM

32Fever, you will have to check with your Agent. Everyone is different. It is possible; depending on where your limits are now.

OldSchool 03-04-2004 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Sydwayz

As a matter of fact... I was sitting in my State Farm Agent's secretary's office when it happened.

Let me guess.....You're dating her!!:D :D :D :D

Sydwayz 03-04-2004 04:07 PM

Originally posted by craig223
Let me guess.....You're dating her!!:D :D :D :D
After I left today, I KNEW someone was going to say that!

OldSchool 03-04-2004 04:15 PM

I had to!!!!:D :D :D

BajaRunner 03-04-2004 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Von Bongo
SF made me change my liability coverage on my autos when I got my umbrella policy. But as my agent said...you have enough assets now you can't afford to be without more liability coverage.

I think I pay around $175 or so a year for it.

I just got the same speech. raise all the limits first.

Jassman 03-04-2004 04:31 PM

have mine with SafeCo, they are located in IL. Also had to up all my deductables when I got my UP.

Von Bongo 03-04-2004 05:14 PM

1 mil is my limit..and if you are ever in an accident DO NOT tell people about it, it's amazing what injuries they come up with. At least that is what my agent advised me.

Neverfastenuf 03-04-2004 05:54 PM

Had one for years. It is good peace of mind. Sam

32fever 03-04-2004 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Sydwayz
32Fever, you will have to check with your Agent. Everyone is different. It is possible; depending on where your limits are now.
Sounds like everyone had to rise their liability on other policies first. So that means it will most likely make the other insurances cost more if not at the max currently.

I'm looking at rewriting the business right now. I'm starting with companies that will insure offshore boats first. Then, maybe they'll get the rest of the business:D Working backwards.... I've asked my current agent about 5 times now for help there, and I'm about ready to kick him to dah curb. I'll have to inquire about this while I'm at it.

Quite a few people seem to have it, though and I've been contemplating it for a while. Hmmmm, maybe you are all the wild and crazy people on the water thinking "screw it, hey guys, watch this (don't worry about it, I'm insured)" LOL!

If I remember right, that takes a secondary role to, say auto insurance. Once you've maxed the, say, $1mil there and then it would tap the UP right? Which makes sense why the want you to raise auto and other limits....less chance it will ever get used. But in that case, it really costs more than $175 a year when you add auto/boat/home, etc increases. Just being realistic about the "actual cost".