If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Boats:
    85 Formula 302
    Indy, St. Louis, LOTO
    The land between the lakes in Western KY is also nice, though not as fast-paced as LOTO or Cumberland. KY has very nice state park lodges with slips available, and numerous activities for the whole family, including horses, playgrounds, planned activities for the kids supervised by staffers, restaurants, etc.

Member #9 Charter Member hp500efi's Avatar
    Pewaukee, WI
    Originally posted by jafo
    With Lake Michigan and the Mississippi River an hour away, we don't seem to have the need to go to many other places.

I agree with that...only the river for me is about 2.5 hours away but still worth it. Once a river rat, always a river rat
    Member of the Liquid Jungle

My Boats:
    2010 Nordic Evo
    Milwaukee'ish, WI

Re: Midwestern Lakes

just add water try Lake Geneva in Wisconsin and also search Castle Rock in Wisconsin.
    Both fun places, although I've only been to Castle Rock I know Lake Geneva has great resorts!

Gone Fishin' Charter Member Waterfoul's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1988 Tracker Pro 17, 40 hp Mariner.....1972 Glastron GT 140, Merc 50 power!!!
    Grand Rapids/Holland/Grand Haven

There's always Torch and Elk Lakes in the Traverse City, MI area. Crystal clear water, long lakes, and rentals on the lakes. Then there's Burt and Mullet lakes a bit further north... connected by what is called around here "the inland waterway" that eventually ends up in Lake Huron with in a short boat ride of Macinaw Island. This place is on my "must do" list. Lived in Michigan all my life... had a boat most of my life, never been on the Inland Waterway. I suck!!!!!!!
    [b]M Go Blue.......Gator boots, gator luggage, gator purses... all at cut rate deals!!!!

My Boats:
    1979 33 Cigarette, 2007 23 concept
    Antioch, Il

Lake Geneva is great. Also try the Chain of Lakes in Northern Illinois tons of bars restaurants and sandbars, there is always a party somewhere.

Official OSO boat whore Charter Member
    My Boats:
    8' row boat
    Mequon, WI

Lake Geneva in southern Wisconsin is a pretty lake. I believe that they now have a 45mph speed limit on it though.

Lake Winnebago in east central Wisconsin used to be gathering place for some really big iron. The DNR has been really hard on noise lately and that has killed the market. If you're quiet, you may enjoy it.

The Mississippi is great boating! You can go for several days. Every bend is something new. From Debuque north the river has some high banks that are very picturesque. Just be sure you stay in the channel. You'll run aground or hit a wing dam if you don't. Often the river will appear to empty, when in fact the activity is occuring in sheltered coves and bays that are off the channel. The opening for these are just about impossible to find if you don't know where they are.

Lake Michigan on the east shore is very nice boating. Sandy beaches and friendly people make the trip worth while. Their towns also seem to be closer together making for shorter hops.

The Door County finger to Lake Michigan is also very picturesque. Please get some charts and study them. It can be very shallow in places and if you are not paying attention you can get in trouble. Beautiful country.

Although, I have never been boating up there, I beleive that Lake Michigan up by the Mac would make for some great boating.

The Chain of Lakes in Illinoise is also very popular. As strange as it may be, there is some big iron on the river. There is always something happening. Busy place. Be sure to stop by the Blarney's Island on thursday nights.
    Last edited by Cord; 11-16-2004 at 08:30 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123