Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Push-Button Ignition -how did they do that? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73297-push-button-ignition-how-did-they-do.html)

CAP071 03-05-2004 07:02 PM

Can I get one of those big crank handles to start mine? :D

burtandnancy 03-05-2004 08:54 PM

Hasn't Cigarette always done that? Ignition switch and a rocker for start (rocker/push button - same thing)
A lot of new cars (mine and my wifes) you don't have to hold the key until it starts, just turn it once, release, and the starter stays engaged until the engine starts. (You can't hear anything anyway, you have to watch the tach)
But this got me to thinking. With todays technology where the car recognizes the driver, opens the doors, sets the seats, radio, etc, why have a starter mode at all? Why not just a run/stop switch (or rocker). Get in, fasten seat belt and hit "run" switch. When the tack moves, put her in gear. Why not?

Reed Jensen 03-05-2004 09:00 PM

Some English and French cars had a knob on the dash that you pulled out on to engage the starter... The French ones on the Paris-Rhone starters actually connected big terminals down on the starter... and then the bendix engaged itself like on a modern starter.

Reed Jensen 03-05-2004 09:03 PM

I hate to date myself... but on some of the early American cars like Cord and Duesenberg.. there was an optional "auto start" that cranked the car when the ignition was turned on... then disengaged when the engine started... only problem.... they burned up a lot of starters since the engines didn't always fire right away...

Lofty 03-05-2004 09:11 PM

I've been starting mine by hand. Now THAT's cool. My buddy just turns the mags on and yells "HOT" then I swing the prop till she kicks over. You gotta be able to hold your breath though.

mmwalters 03-05-2004 09:18 PM

Bluewater marine makes a race panel thay does what you want

damdonzi 03-05-2004 09:33 PM

Tried a Google search and could not come up with anything for Bluewater Marine. Do you have a website or telephone number?

rainmn 03-05-2004 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Gizmo
It's a simple job. all you need to do is wire in a ford starter solenoid and add the push button. Most all race cars have this setup.
What do you need the Ford starter solenoid for?

gmhdfan 03-06-2004 12:03 AM

Originally posted by rainmn
What do you need the Ford starter solenoid for?
You don't. But we put them on GM muscle cars with headers. The stock solenoids get to hot. So we hard wire the stock solenoid and mount a Ford solenoid on the inner fender well. Funny thing is I had to rebuild a 1 barrel carb on a 52 Ford pickup today. When I was done I asked one of my guys to park it outside. Little while later he came to me wanting to know how to start it. Gave him the run down (pull the choke out, turn the key, push the button) Little while later he came in and wanted to know how the "three on the tree" worked.:D